Back
cranbrook_skyscraper.

Bijun Zheng. Sheffield Hallam University. New Graduates 2015

Article  /  ArtistsGraduate 2015
Published: 13.07.2015
Bijun Zheng. Sheffield Hallam University. New Graduates 2015.
Author:
Sheffield Hallam University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Gothenburg
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Bijun Zheng loves travelling, and often sends herself a friendly postcard. One of her next 'to visit' places is Antelope Canyon in the United States. The challenge of her final project has been to encapsulate the 'flowing and floating' feelings she envisages she will experience on entering the canyon.

Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield , United Kingdom.

Bijun Zheng - Antelope Canyon
Travelling is one of the essential activities I do in my spare time. I don't know what I will see during the journey, and what is going to happen to me. I always look forward to the surprise of the journey, and I enjoy every unique sight during my travels. This process is more than just "sightseeing". 

I always write the postcard to myself, from each destination I visit, writing down the feelings and as a chance talk to myself. Let the writing carry the unique moments and my memories. I even look forward to getting my own postcard when I go home!

The first time I saw the pictures of Antelope Canyon, I was deeply attracted to it. I don't know how many years the Antelope Canyon has been baptised by wind and water, to leave such incredible 'art lines'. The canyon is bathed in several colours, such dark red, orange, purple and even gold under the influence of the reflected sunlight.  This jewellery collection is all about the images I have created in response to my adoration of Antelope Canyon. The feelings keep guiding me, influencing my creating and making processes. 

I ask myself if I travel there what I will see. Who I might I meet and what will this place bring me? These feeling all make me excited and I can't wait to be there. Investigating the use of various kinds of materials is one of my design processes. Each materials has own unique characteristics as a language. Through exploring and developing the possibility of the material, I try to get the best result for my collection. I wish my jewellery collection could take me to this place, though touching the tactile qualities I dream of the canyon. I wish I could wear my pieces to Antelope Canyon. 

Bijun Zheng loves travelling, and often sends herself a friendly postcard. One of her next 'to visit' places is Antelope Canyon in the United States. The challenge of her final project has been to encapsulate the 'flowing and floating' feelings she envisages she will experience on entering the canyon. "I will draw a path, as the most interesting reason for visiting the Canyon is its path. It will lead you to another beautiful view under the sunlight, like there is a way out for somebody; every cloud has a silver lining." (Zheng) These pieces carry her secrets. / Alison Counsell, lecturer Sheffield Hallam University, July 2015

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Institute of Arts Degree Show 2015

Bijun Zheng. Brooch: Untitled, 2015. Silver, resin, pigment. 10 x 5 x 3 cm. Photo by: Marcus Sarko. Bijun Zheng
Brooch: Untitled, 2015
Silver, resin, pigment
10 x 5 x 3 cm
Photo by: Marcus Sarko
Bijun Zheng. Brooch: Untitled, 2015. Silver, resin, pigment. 10 x 5 x 3 cm. Photo by: Marcus Sarko. Detail. Bijun Zheng
Silver, resin, pigment
10 x 5 x 3 cm

Detail

Bijun Zheng. Brooch: Untitled, 2015. Silver, resin, pigment. 10 x 8 x 3 cm. Photo by: Marcus Sarko. Bijun Zheng
Silver, resin, pigment
10 x 8 x 3 cm
Bijun Zheng. Neckpiece: Untitled, 2015. Silver, resin, pigment. 60 x 20 cm. Photo by: Marcus Sarko. Bijun Zheng
Neckpiece: Untitled, 2015
Silver, resin, pigment
60 x 20 cm
Bijun Zheng. Neckpiece: Untitled, detail, 2015. Silver, resin, pigment. Photo by: Marcus Sarko. Bijun Zheng
Neckpiece: Untitled, detail, 2015
Silver, resin, pigment
Bijun Zheng. Neckpiece: Untitled, 2015. Silver, etched and oxidised. 40 x 20 cm. Photo by: Marcus Sarko. Bijun Zheng
Neckpiece: Untitled, 2015
Silver, etched and oxidised
40 x 20 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE