Four Klimt02 Gallery Artists Selected at Schmuck 2016

Article  /  ArtistsBehind the Scenes
Published: 03.12.2015
Four Klimt02 Gallery Artists Selected at Schmuck 2016.
Klimt02 Gallery
Edited by:
Edited at:
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Copyright.

We are very proud to announce and congratulate four artists of Klimt02 Gallery selected for the 2016 edition of the Schmuck international exhibition juried by Peter Skubic.

Schmuck selection combines works of established artists and promising newcomers in the area of contemporary jewellery design and is the meeting place for collectors, jewellery lovers and museum curators from Germany and abroad.
Karin Johansson, Jiro Kamata, Stefano Marchetti and Simon Cottrell are already familiar with the exhibition as have been selected in previous editions, but being selected once again shows up the interest of the development of their careers and proves the professionalism and creativity at their works is worth enough to be selected again.
Two of them, Karin Johansson and Jiro Kamata have had solo exhibitions during 2015 in our gallery presenting new jewels.
We are very eager to see in flesh the whole show. Thank you and see you there.

Karin Johansson selected pieces

I use my senses as tools. By using the different senses while in a constant move I perceive the places that surrounds me. The city becomes the source of inspiration to create. In my world wearable signs, that together gives the beat of a city. / KJ

Karin Johansson. Necklace: Ammeli, 2015. Anodized aluminium, gold, acrylic, rhodinated silver. 90 cm.
Photo by: elStudio

Karin Johansson. Necklace: Sooki, 2015. Anodized aluminium, gold, acrylic. 78 cm
Photo by: elStudio

Jiro Kamata selected pieces

Palette Brooches are made after BI pieces. It is made with dichroic mirror and artificial stone called “corian”. This time I tried to make pieces without metal and a round shape, both of which were always very important parts of my work. If you wear it, you see strong colorful shadows on the white stone base. The shape of the shadow changes in many ways. It depends on the light direction, where it comes from or where you are. For me the light is living thing. It is moving everywhere, getting stronger or weaker, changing color in many different way… Actuary people wearing the light but most of us don’t realized it because the light is like a air. Maybe this piece can make people perceive about it. / JK

Jiro Kamata. Brooch: Palette 1, 2015. Dichroic mirror, corian, silver. 8.5 x 6.5 x 2 cm.
Photo by: Jiro Kamata

Jiro Kamata. Brooch: Palette 2, 2015. Dichroic mirror, corian, silver. 8 x 6 x 2 cm.
Photo by: Jiro Kamata

Stefano Marchetti selected pieces

With this work of mine I intend to pay homage to all those high profile researchers that were considered charlatans in their time because of people's superficiality, ignorance or downright dishonesty.
This brooch represents a study on the electro-chemical compression of hydrogen. The process I describe here is one of those that combined together with others more complex ones, according to theories known since the schuster-nicole-schuster-nicole-beginning-2016-2016 of the XX century, can generate the so called cold fusion. These reactions, today more commonly known as LENR transmutations (low energy nuclear reactions), would allow for the recombination of different elements nucleuses in metallic transmutations. The actual philosopher stone.
Of course, inside my brooch there have been no fusions of atomic nucleuses happening. Nevertheless the structure of the hollow Cu-Ni44  electrode, really did absorb atomic hydrogen through a reaction that, not that many years ago, was considered, by many, pure folly. What an easy and fascinating transformation: first, by electrolysis, I split the water into diatomic molecules of hydrogen, then I split those molecules into atoms and then, finally, from those atoms I obtained subatomic particles. A flux of protons was moving, freely, inside the metal.
Sometimes I think that a bit more of experimental method would not harm the freedom of contemporary jewellery, and maybe it would even make it more accessible. / SM

Stefano Marchetti. Homage to LENR II. Brooch, 2015. Gold, platinum, constantan, glass, wood, copper, resins, mixed media.  10 x 6 x 2 cm. 28,7 gr. Components: CuNi44 Cathode, Platinum Anode, Dewar flask, Heater, Gas outlet, Multimeter probe.

Simon Cottrell selected pieces

Why is a pendant chosen to hang? How does a pendant hang?  How can it gently play within its response to gravity and how can this extend a wearer’s expectations of gravity and the activity of wearing a pendant?
Why is a brooch attached? How do the specifics of this attachment alter the way it moves to the wearer’s own movement?  How can a brooch gently play with the wearer’s expectations of attachment and the activity of wearing a brooch? A connection, is a fundamental of jewellery. / SC

Simon Cottrell. Circle Ball Beneath Pin-slots. Brooch 2015. Monel 400 and stainless steel. 7 x 7 x 2 cm.
Double Exposure Photograph: Simon Cottrell

Simon Cottrell. Paired Uneven Double. Pendant 2015. Monel 400, stainless steel, woven nylon cord (variable length). 4.5 x 4 x 3 cm
Double Exposure Photograph: Simon Cottrell