Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Impressions of Schmuck 2012 in Munich

Article  /  Review
Published: 13.06.2012
Impressions of Schmuck 2012 in Munich.
Author:
Birgit Laken
Edited by:
Birgit Laken
Edited at:
Haarlem
Mobile Gallery
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Mobile Gallery
Photo by Birgit Laken

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Munich in March seems to have become for jewellers what Milan is for designers. Besides the important Jewellery exhibition ‘Schmuck 2012’, many jewellers and galleries use this moment to present their jewellery all over Munich. Of the almost 50 exhibitions I managed to visit 15 of them in two and a half day!
On my way through Munich I met students from the Royal academy of Antwerp on rented bicycles and thought that could be a good idea for next year, to see more jewellery! 

The first exhibition to visit, the closest to our hotel, was in the Swedish Church, hidden on the second floor of a building.
A wonderfully presentation of four young designers from Sweden, ‘In the forest’, trees made out of white balloons, under each tree the jewellery of a participant (photos).

Then up to 3stations, three exhibitions in a small area, at first ‘Pin up’, full of visitors, many young interested people, and interesting jewellery on circles at the wall and on pedestals, lighted with building spots, a joy to experience lots of energy here! (photos)

The second was in the studio of Gisbert Stach, ‘What’s in a Frame’; lots of participants had made something fitting in a frame. It was surprising to see how different the approach was. (photos)

The third of the three stations was in a gallery. Students of the academy of Antwerp made the exhibition ‘The sound of silver’ with rests from a silver factory into pieces with noise exhibited on trash bags. They made a sound track with it.
Another class made ‘Brooches para las Chicas’, beautiful photographed on these woman. (photos)

Next morning we went to the presentation of the new book of Peter Bauhuis by Liesbeth den Besten at Galerie Handwerk. The gallery was completely full, lots of people waiting outside. Meeting your colleagues and gallerists was really nice. Being inside in the end, was the book signing, and a great enamelling exhibition to see with works of Elisabeth and Jessica Turrell, Bettina Dittleman, Daniel Kruger and many others. (photos)

In the afternoon to Wittenbrink, a gallery in a shopping mall, the works of Simon Cottrell were laid out on a long wooden shelf that fitted very well with his work. Mielle Harvey had some bigger objects and a presentation with rings. The view from the gallery window on a special design garden was wonderful. (photos)

And very clever, at lots of openings appears the well made Mobile Gallery of Akihiro Ikeyama! A showcase on a bicycle! (photos)

In the Münchner Residenz was an exhibition curated by Galerie Biro, big names, beautiful ambiance, really well done. The opening was meant for collectors only. (photos)

The Italian Gallery Maurer-Zilioli from Brescia rented two gallery spaces in Munich during this Schmuck 2012 event. Wolfgang Rahs and Elisabeth Altenburg with an active installation, showed in one and Christiane Förster showed her new work in the other tiny gallery in a parallel street. Christiane’s jewellery was presented on fresh citron coloured panels. (photos)

Then on the way to Fremde Federn (borrowed Feathers) of kunst.wirt.schaft gallery from Graz Austria, who was supposed to be in a rented gallery space, we stumbled upon a table in front of a car with the exhibition laid out on a very surprising way! Some problems with the gallery had brought them to this creative solution! (photos)

Up to the opening of Ruudt Peters in Galerie Spektrum we suddenly discovered a new gallery, Micheko Galerie, for Asiatic art. Akiko Kurihara and Mari Iwamoto and some others exhibited here. Amazing work, especially the textile pieces, I had never seen work like this. (photos)

In front of Galerie Spektrum a huge queue of interested people to go in for ‘Corpus’ of Ruudt Peters and also for the ‘30 years Spektrum’ show. Ruudt was standing there, dressed in a nice flower costume, welcoming every person with a present, a small brooch made out of the same material as his large pieces in the show! His presentation was on black hanging textile pieces in tune with the atmosphere of his work. One person went out; another could go in so that the work stayed visible. When I went out the queue was not shorter, and Ruudt still indefatigable active. I was pretty touched by all this. (photos)

I can not remember, did I have time to eat something before going to the opening of Ädellab in the Pinakothek der Moderne to see the show ‘State of things’ of Konstfack Stockholm? Is looking at interesting jewellery replacing the celebration of the body? Hey, there in front of the entrance was the Moving Gallery again! Inside the big hall of the Pinakothek were hundreds of people, listening to the opening speeches. Then we could mount the enormous stairs along which the exhibition was set up or better was hanging! At big red ropes with knots were necklaces, pendants, objects hanging, I could not believe it, how did they fix this whole installation.

Hundreds mainly young people on the stairs, photographing this, how impressive, here was done a lot of work, first of all the jewellery was very interesting, second, the way of exhibiting! This was top, and at the end of the stairs it stopped with an enormous knot of red rope, above it in light written ‘Ädellab’! (photos)

The last day we had a slow start, the weather was still sunny and warm. After a long walk we reached the little gallery rented by Alexander Blank, one of the Herbert Hofmann price winners of this year, which he did not know about for this moment. He presented his pendants on a black pentagonal table. His rings were in the window and some objects at the wall, very nicely done. It is as if his work is made through 3 dimensional printing, but that is not the case. It is all made by hand as a sculpture does, technical a wonder, I admire him and not only for his skill. He is just good and from me he already got the price! (photos)

The last exhibition to discuss in this document is the one where the whole event goes about, ‘Schmuck 2012’ in die Neue Messe. This juried international jewellery exhibition is yearly organised by the Handwerkskammer in Munich, accompanied by a catalogue. Very nice when you can take part and can become one of the three price winners of the Herbert Hofmann price. This year I already mentioned Alexander Blank, furthermore Despo Sophocleous and Tore Svensson were the chosen winners. The show was set up really well, and there were some new jewellers to see. Every year this show brings more jewellers, collectors, gallery owners and other interested people to Munich, where it all seems to happen, a wonderful contemporary jewellery climate has developed here.
And I have just seen a bit of it! (photos)
In the Forest
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
In the Forest
Photo by Birgit Laken

Pin up
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Pin up
Photo by Birgit Laken

What's in a frame?
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
What's in a frame?
Photo by Birgit Laken

3stations The sound of silver. Brooches para las Chicas
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
3stations The sound of silver. Brooches para las Chicas
Photo by Birgit Laken

Galerie Handwerk
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Galerie Handwerk
Photo by Birgit Laken

Wittenbrink shows Simon Cottrell and Mielle Harvey
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Wittenbrink shows Simon Cottrell and Mielle Harvey
Photo by Birgit Laken

Biro shows Robert Baines, Karl Fritsch and Gerd Rothmann
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Biro shows Robert Baines, Karl Fritsch and Gerd Rothmann
Photo by Birgit Laken

Kunstbüro, Christiane Förster by Maurer Zilioli-Contemporary Arts
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Kunstbüro, Christiane Förster by Maurer Zilioli-Contemporary Arts
Photo by Birgit Laken

Fremde Federn
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Fremde Federn
Photo by Birgit Laken

Micheko Galery
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Micheko Galery
Photo by Birgit Laken

Galerie Spektrum with 'Corpus' Ruudt Peters
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Galerie Spektrum with 'Corpus' Ruudt Peters
Photo by Birgit Laken

Die Neue Sammlung Ädellap 'The State of Things'
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Die Neue Sammlung Ädellap 'The State of Things'
Photo by Birgit Laken

Totem on the sideline, Alexander Blank
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Totem on the sideline, Alexander Blank
Photo by Birgit Laken

Scmuck 2012 Handwersmesse Munich
. Photo by Birgit Laken.
Scmuck 2012 Handwersmesse Munich
Photo by Birgit Laken

Appreciate APPRECIATE