Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Julia Obermaier. Hochschule Trier. Selected Graduate 2016

Article  /  Graduate 2016Artists
Published: 01.08.2016
Julia Obermaier Julia Obermaier
Mail:
julia_obermaierE-mailyahoo.de
Author:
Hochschule Trier
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
With her bachelor thesis Julia Obermaier delivers a statement of monumental grandeur. To do so, working mainly in agate and rock crystal, is a matter of concentration and patience as well as of spatial transition. Acquiring an extended awareness of space and volume, in the sense of an architectonic perspective, paired with an empathical sensibility for the wearers and observers body and mind, and at the same time bordering the restrictions of jewellery is a remarkable feature of Obermaiers process of work. The result is a collection of wearables in gemstone with a high quality of sensitivity. As an object, Obermaiers pieces are intriguing and inviting, as soon as they are worn and in unity with the body, they show an until than almost hidden sensuality. / Theo Smeets
Hochschule Trier, Idar-Oberstein, Germany.

Julia Obermaier - (Sur)face the space.
Private space. Working area. The distance between people. The distance between the world and me. Space is a really important subject for me. If someone is crossing the borders of my spaces without permission, it causes a bad feeling within me. That is why I try to protect them as much as possible. But in daily life, one cannot always keep direct surroundings and personal space in their preferred way. This is because our outside world is always in relation with other people and circumstances.

To build my own spaces I cut slices out of agate or rock crystal. They represent rooms, spaces, containers, boxes or little caves.  Some of my works have empty spaces with corners or nooks, while others have an inner life through engravings I cut within the pieces. I am generating space which can be filled with ones own personal feelings, perceptions and sensations. I see my work as containers protecting the innermost emotions of the viewer or wearer.

In contrast to the large space around us filled with other people, I see these pieces as a part of ourselves. They are little copies of the viewer or the wearer. The space inside is reserved for what people find within themselves. The outside surrounding, which is not always controllable for us, becomes the protector of what lies within the piece.  The wearer can then decide if and who is allowed to approach the work, take a look or even touch it. The pieces embody ideas of a second skin and soul protector from the outside world.  They are meant to induce a comforting feeling of inner silence for the wearer, that they can use to confront a busy world. 

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Hochschule Trier

Julia Obermaier. Necklace: Come Around, 2016. Agate, resin, pigment. 27 x 20 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Julia Obermaier. Julia Obermaier
Necklace: Come Around, 2016
Agate, resin, pigment
27 x 20 x 3.5 cm
Photo by: Julia Obermaier
Julia Obermaier. Necklace: Have a look outside, 2016. Agate, iron, fabric, resin, pigment. 26 x 11 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Julia Obermaier. Julia Obermaier
Necklace: Have a look outside, 2016
Agate, iron, fabric, resin, pigment
26 x 11 x 3.5 cm
Julia Obermaier. Brooch: Round the corner, 2016. Agate, resin, pigment, stainless steel. 7.5 x 7 x 3 cm. Photo by: Julia Obermaier. Julia Obermaier
Brooch: Round the corner, 2016
Agate, resin, pigment, stainless steel
7.5 x 7 x 3 cm
Julia Obermaier. Brooch: Untouchable, 2016. Agate, resin, pigment, stainless steel. 10 x 5.5 x 5.5 cm. Photo by: Julia Obermaier. Julia Obermaier
Brooch: Untouchable, 2016
Agate, resin, pigment, stainless steel
10 x 5.5 x 5.5 cm
Julia Obermaier. Necklace: Breathe, 2016. Rockcrystal, silver, iron, paint, resin. 33 x 18 x 2 cm. Photo by: Qi Wang. Julia Obermaier
Necklace: Breathe, 2016
Rockcrystal, silver, iron, paint, resin
33 x 18 x 2 cm
Photo by: Qi Wang
Appreciate APPRECIATE