Back
cranbrook_skyscraper.

Katrin Feulner. Pforzheim University - Faculty of Design. New Graduates 2015

Article  /  ArtistsGraduate 2015
Published: 26.06.2015
Katrin Feulner. Pforzheim University - Faculty of Design. New Graduates 2015.
Mail:
katrinfeulnerE-mailgmail.com
Author:
Pforzheim University / School of Design
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Gothenburg
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Katrin collects iron bars and tubes of leftover pieces and scrapyard junk. Her friends help her in her passion of gathering parts of overproduction and neglected pieces. She lets her finds age in her drawers and workbench and when she considers them ready she starts to transform them into jewellery. 
Pforzheim University - Faculty of Design, Pforzheim, Germany.

Katrin Feulner - Arbeiten
This year, in February 2015, I graduated with the Bachelor of Arts in Jewellery And Everyday Objects at Pforzheim University - Faculty of Design. The title of my final project is Arbeiten. The meaning of this german word is ambiguous, similar to the english Work. It means the act of working and the pieces that come out of this process.

I asked myself: What is working? What do we do, when we are doing something? Is it only to safe the existence of ourselves, or should work and life inseparably linked together?  Of course every person has different thoughts about this questions. But for me, Work is the connection to the world that surrounds me. It's the link between social, mental and physical activity.
My jewellery is made out of objects that were already there before. I only take the objects to pieces, change the original form and put them together in new relations. Often the making process needs a lot of time, because I only use my hands for working. Almost no machine is used that could speed up or simplify the process.

In this way of working I get into a routine of repetition, which is a very important aspect in my working process. Because of that there is a chance for me to grow and to develop myself at the same time... like the jewellery I'm working on.

Making sense
Katrin collects iron bars and tubes of leftover pieces and scrapyard junk. Her friends help her in her passion of gathering parts of overproduction and neglected pieces. She lets her finds age in her drawers and workbench and when she considers them ready she starts to transform them into jewellery. 

She allows herself plenty of time for decision-making in order to respect the character of the original, however,  there can still be a forceful process of transformation involving pressing and excessive cutting of a big piece into smaller parts. She doesn’t take shortcuts and her work cannot be referred to as, “Ready made“ and doesn’t belong to the category of, “Found objects“. 

Her pieces have a sculptural quality because she works with what is within the material waiting to be interpreted. She respects the effort that has been put into the smallest pieces and spares no effort to continue a process that has started long before and will be continued to conclusion by the wearer. In the end what seems to be a random, forgotten object makes absolute sense. /Andreas Gut, Professor, Pforzheim University - Faculty of Design, Department Jewellery And Everyday Objects, June 2015

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Pforzheim University / School of Design

Katrin Feulner. Necklace: Arbeiten 6, 2015. Iron. 36 x 18cm. Photo by: Petra Jaschke. Katrin Feulner
Necklace: Arbeiten 6, 2015
Iron
36 x 18cm
Photo by: Petra Jaschke
Katrin Feulner. Necklace: Arbeiten 1, 2015. Iron, alpaca. 32 x 9cm. Photo by: Petra Jaschke. Katrin Feulner
Necklace: Arbeiten 1, 2015
Iron, alpaca
32 x 9cm
Katrin Feulner. Necklace: Arbeiten 2, 2015. Iron, alpaca, silver. 34 x 14cm. Photo by: Petra Jaschke. Katrin Feulner
Necklace: Arbeiten 2, 2015
Iron, alpaca, silver
34 x 14cm
Katrin Feulner. Necklace: Arbeiten 3, 2015. Iron, alpaca. 30 x 10cm. Photo by: Petra Jaschke. Katrin Feulner
Necklace: Arbeiten 3, 2015
Iron, alpaca
30 x 10cm
Katrin Feulner. Necklace: Arbeiten 4, 2015. Iron. 34 x 11.5cm. Photo by: Petra Jaschke. Katrin Feulner
Necklace: Arbeiten 4, 2015
Iron
34 x 11.5cm
Katrin Feulner. Necklace: Arbeiten 5, 2015. Iron, alpaca, silver. 27 x 14cm. Photo by: Petra Jaschke. Katrin Feulner
Necklace: Arbeiten 5, 2015
Iron, alpaca, silver
27 x 14cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE