Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Lucie Davis. Central Saint Martins. New Graduates 2016

Article  /  Graduate 2016Artists
Published: 13.07.2016
Lucie Davis. Central Saint Martins. New Graduates 2016.
Author:
BA (Hons) Jewellery Design Central Saint Martins
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Lucie has explored the subject of jewellery with a lively and positive energy. She has a wealth of ideas based on very mundane events such as washing up, using a travel card on the underground or noticing the stickers on fruit at point of sale. The works communicate an acute sense of observation and a fresh outlook on possibilities for jewellery and they capture the imagination with wit and hum. / Caroline Broadhead

Central Saint Martins, BA (Hons) Jewellery Design, London, United Kingdom

"Jewellery Undercover" by Lucie Davis

Name: Contemporary Jewellery, but everyone just calls me CJ
Occupation: Sometimes taking on an ornate or functional role, I present people with an offbeat way of seeing the strangely familiar.  

How would you describe yourself?
I like to think of myself as a 21st-century update to the traditional keepsake. I’m curious, creative, witty and playful - I like to toy with irony and juxtaposition. But I can also be rather serious and provocative (at times) 

What inspires you?
I have a somewhat magpie attitude to inspiration… I seek it from all sorts/sources – It can be from tracing people’s everyday mundane movements to absorbing familiar imagery from popular culture or even researching and unearthing iconic moments in history… I just take it all in and observe with a critical eye, an attention to detail; building up a scrapbook from which I can draw on 

What would you say is the best thing about what you do?
Getting people to think differently - to both see anew and reflect on how much remains yet to be unseen… I find this the most invigorating and rewarding aspect  

How are you crossing boundaries in your world?
Connecting with my friends: Art, Illustration, Fashion, Design and Digital technology (along with a few others) It is thanks to them that I’ve been able to meet and reach out to a wider audience in new and surprising ways 

Does anything keep you awake at night?
My constant questioning as to what I can be 

Has there been an event/s in your life, big or small, that has prompted a major turning point in your career?
The Digital Revolution/social media - they are both very powerful things where a lot of my interest lies 

Is that what the future holds for you?
Absolutely, I think that I will have a lot more to do with technology. My modern and traditional make-up is already being blurred- which adds another interesting layer of context to me 

Do you have any treasured possessions?
I often question what is treasurable or precious… Essentially, I value the overlooked –often non-traditional materials previously foreign to my medium

Secret crush?
Ted Noten, Grayson Perry, David Shrigley (I have a few…) 

What do you see when you look in the mirror?
A change - which you can wear, even if it’s temporary

What makes you really happy?
Being out of my comfort zone  

What item of luxury would you have on a desert island?
A pen. Or perhaps a 3D printer so I could print myself a pen 

What would you be lost without?
An audience  

What is your biggest fear?
To go unnoticed – there would be no reason for my existence otherwise 

And lastly, what would you say is a particular ambition of yours? 
To make my way beyond the bench, into the street, the public sphere, the universe…

Is that what you’re working on right now?
Yes, it’s my latest mission and one that I hope to conquer very soon…

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Central Saint Martins, BA (Hons) Jewellery Design
Lucie Davis. Pin: Price Pins, 2016. Laser engraved enamel, copper, silver plated tie pin. 1.8 x 1.2 cm. Photo by: Lucie Davis. Lucie Davis
Pin: Price Pins, 2016
Laser engraved enamel, copper, silver plated tie pin
1.8 x 1.2 cm
Photo by: Lucie Davis
Lucie Davis. Pin: Precious Produce / Tasty Pins, 2016. Laser engraved enamel, copper, silver plated tie pin. Ø 2 cm. Photo by: Lucie Davis. Lucie Davis
Pin: Precious Produce / Tasty Pins, 2016
Ø 2 cm
Lucie Davis. Pin: Ripe and Ready, 2016. Laser engraved enamel, copper, silver plated tie pin. Ø 2 cm. Photo by: Lucie Davis. From series: Precious Produce / Tasty Pins. Lucie Davis
Pin: Ripe and Ready, 2016
Ø 2 cm
From series: Precious Produce / Tasty Pins
Lucie Davis. Textile: All purpose silk scarf, 2016. Textile. Photo by: Lucie Davis. Lucie Davis
Textile: All purpose silk scarf, 2016
Textile
Lucie Davis. Piece: Touch in and Out, 2016. Acrylic nail with RFID chip embedded. 1.5 x 1.3 cm. Photo by: Lucie Davis. From series: Nails. Lucie Davis
Piece: Touch in and Out, 2016
Acrylic nail with RFID chip embedded
1.5 x 1.3 cm
From series: Nails
Appreciate APPRECIATE