Back
cranbrook_skyscraper.

Sangji Yun. St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp. New Graduates 2015

Article  /  ArtistsGraduate 2015
Published: 13.07.2015
Sangji Yun. St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp. New Graduates 2015.
Mail:
sangji_yunE-mailhotmail.com
Author:
St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Gothenburg
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Time is expressed in two different ways in Korean: Shi-gak and Shi-gan. Shi-gak consists of two meanings, the moment (Shi) and engraving (Gak). Therefore, Shi-gak translates as an engraving made with the passage of time. Shi-gan, on the other hand, consists of Shi (moment) and Gan (in-between). Shi-gan therefore represents space between moments, and the sense of space is embedded within the word.
St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp, Belgium.

Sangji Yun - Shi-gan, the passage of time
Time is expressed in two different ways in Korean: Shi-gak and Shi-gan. Shi-gak consists of two meanings, the moment (Shi) and engraving (Gak). Therefore, Shi-gak translates as an engraving made with the passage of time. Shi-gan, on the other hand, consists of Shi (moment) and Gan (in-between). Shi-gan therefore represents space between moments, and the sense of space is embedded within the word. Time flows. And time is intangible. It is therefore very difficult to shape physically. However, as time passes, we can often find traces of time. We can find traces of absence. I am interested in the past as it appears in the present. Looking at photo albums from the past makes me remember what existed. But the photos exist in the present. They are the traces of an absence. Therefore, the traces can also be tangible. And my grandfather’s old worn-out hammer can be shown as a representation of engraving made over a lapse of time like the meaning of Shi-gak. When I was a child, I was deeply impressed by my grandfather’s every working moment. It is very difficult to shape the space between moments like the meaning of Shi-gan. Shi-gan is more closely connected with a person who resides in the space between moments than Shi-gak. Every single moment of my grandfather’s effort turned into a heritage that has been passed onto me. I want to express the beauty of the Korean word Shi-gan in my graduation project. This will enable us to confront the passage of time, which is easy to miss. I chose paper as my main material and inspiration. I spent my childhood in a traditional house built by my grandfather. Papers were pasted and layered on doors and windows in the house. The elaborate paper doors and windows have become more beautiful as time went by. I laid a thin sheet of paper upon another repeatedly and steadily. I tried to enjoy the passage of time. The repeated actions show the workmanship which I got from my grandparents. And the paper objects were shaped to be placed in the most emotional and sensitive places – hands, shoulder, and breast – to be the expressed heritage that has been passed onto me. People who touch my pieces immediately know my time and my craftsmanship. As the shapes made of paper decrease, this represents natural extinction by death, worn-out by contact. The pieces will be worn out after a long time, but the vanished fragments will be transformed into a remembrance. My project is about traces left in our consciousness.

Sangji Yun came to Antwerp in 2013 to achieve a master’s degree in visual arts. She wanted to immerse herself deeper in the work which she had successfully completed earlier during the bachelor’s training programme for jewellery design at the Maastricht Academy of Fine Arts in the Netherlands. For this purpose she chose the Jewellery Design and Silversmithing department of St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp.

I got to know Sangji as a hard-working and driven student who, thanks to a profound passion for her subject, has conquered her place in the field of jewellery. She has been nominated for, among others, Preziosa Young 2015, Top 10 Enjoia’t Student Awards Barcelona 2014, UBI Top Young Asia Award 2013 and FoedererDFK Talentenfonds Eindhoven NL 2013. For her graduation project she was nominated for the De Lucas 2015 award which will be attributed in the Showroom Sint Lucas Antwerpen on 25 September 2015.

In the context of her training course she wrote in 2015 for Space Jul and acted as an intermediary reporter on what was happening in the field of jewellery between Europe and Asia, a task which she is going to develop in the future, but then from Asia, in particular from South Korea. Thanks to her studies in Europe, Sangji developed her interest in identity and self-consciousness, and asked herself how she could record in a visual and tangible manner invisible borders across distances and time. Her graduation project ‘Shi-gan’ – which translates literally as ‘moment in between’ – is the result of her research. In this project she presents tactile brooches in paper that are built up layer by layer. An intensive, meticulous process that combines traditional craftsmanship and contemporary design. It is a profound research project in which she reflects on artisanal work – thereby referring to her grandparents – and the meaning of time in the manufacturing process. Sangji reveals a poetic, sensitive character in these jewels. These qualities and the in-depth research is something you can also find in the metal shoulder and neck ornaments. Visually they refer to the growth of bamboo, but through a technical feat they show that the narrative at the level of content can be raised to a higher level.
/Hilde De Decker, Head of jewellery design department, St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp, July 2015.

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp
St Lucas School of Arts Antwerp Degree Show 2015

Sangji Yun. Brooch: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015. Paper, steel. 3 x 7.8 x 4 cm. Photo by: Sangji Yun. Sangji Yun
Brooch: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015
Paper, steel
3 x 7.8 x 4 cm
Photo by: Sangji Yun
Sangji Yun. Hand Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015. Photo by: Sangji Yun. Sangji Yun
Hand Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015
Sangji Yun. Hand Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015. Paper. 5.5 x 10.5 x 3.4 cm. Photo by: Sangji Yun. Sangji Yun
Paper
5.5 x 10.5 x 3.4 cm
Sangji Yun. Hand Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015. Paper. 6.3 x 11.2 x 4 cm. Photo by: Sangji Yun. Sangji Yun
Paper
6.3 x 11.2 x 4 cm
Sangji Yun. Neckpiece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015. Paper. 20 x 19.5 x 9 cm. Photo by: Sangji Yun. Sangji Yun
Neckpiece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015
Paper
20 x 19.5 x 9 cm
Sangji Yun. Shoulder Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015. brass. 11 x 112 x 0.7 cm. Photo by: Sangji Yun. Sangji Yun
Shoulder Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015
brass
11 x 112 x 0.7 cm
Sangji Yun. Shoulder Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015. brass. 11 x 112 x 0.7 cm. Photo by: Sangji Yun. Sangji Yun
Shoulder Piece: Shi-gan, the passage of time, 2015
brass
11 x 112 x 0.7 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE