Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Wanshu Li. Edinburgh College of Art. Selected Graduate 2016

Article  /  Graduate 2016Artists
Published: 26.07.2016
Wanshu Li Wanshu Li
Mail:
liwanshu.ukE-mailgmail.com
Author:
Edinburgh College of Art
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Wanshu Li’s work stood out for us in terms of sensitivity of design concept and a sophisticated handling of materials. Her playful use of UV sensitive materials along with forms suggestive of underwater creatures produced a highly original, technically challenging and a creatively rich body of work. Her pieces are wonderfully tactile and sensuous to wear. She was awarded a distinction and will continue to stay on in the department as an artist in residence for the next academic year. / Susan Cross
Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

My jewellery is focused on exploring the multisensory experience and making tactile wearable pieces, which involve different sensory experiences such as vision, sound, and touch. The inspiration for the jewellery series “Go with the Glow” stems from capturing the moving moments in the natural world. I was deeply attracted by free-swimming marine animal. For example jellyfish, which is soft, light, and glowing with the characteristics of amazing colours. I was also fascinated by dancing, rave party and laser light show.

I developed my work by experimenting with acrylic, moving beads, UV reactive nylon wire, UV light and fluorescent paints resulting in light-weighted tactile, colourful and playful pieces. The nylon wires under UV light creates an amazing fluorescent effect and provide a pleasant visual enjoyment for the wearers and viewers. Moreover, the pieces create subtle sounds, following freely with the movements of the body.

After studying in Edinburgh College of Art, I will be the 2016 Artist in Residency in Edinburgh College of Art for and continue my research in multisensory experience of jewellery.

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Edinburgh College of Art

Wanshu Li. Ring: Go with the glow, 2016. Acrylic, silver, seed beads, fluorescent plastic tube, nylon wire. 4.3 x 4.3 x 5.5cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Wanshu Li
Ring: Go with the glow, 2016
Acrylic, silver, seed beads, fluorescent plastic tube, nylon wire
4.3 x 4.3 x 5.5cm
Photo by: Shannon Tofts
Wanshu Li. Pendant: Floating, 2016. Acrylic, seed beads,sequins, nylon wire, fluorescent plastic tube, UV reactive paint. 8.5 x 8.5 x 4.5 cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Wanshu Li
Pendant: Floating, 2016
Acrylic, seed beads,sequins, nylon wire, fluorescent plastic tube, UV reactive paint
8.5 x 8.5 x 4.5 cm
Wanshu Li. Bangle: Go with the Glow, 2016. Acrylic, seed beads, fluorescent plastic tube, nylon wire. 12 x 8 x 5 cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Wanshu Li
Bangle: Go with the Glow, 2016
Acrylic, seed beads, fluorescent plastic tube, nylon wire
12 x 8 x 5 cm
Wanshu Li. Necklace: Cube Necklace, 2016. Acrylic, seed beads, nylon wire. 1.0 x 1.8 x 48 cm. Photo by: Shannon Tofts. Wanshu Li
Necklace: Cube Necklace, 2016
Acrylic, seed beads, nylon wire
1.0 x 1.8 x 48 cm
Wanshu Li. Neckpiece: Let it Green, 2016. Acrylic, nylon wire, seed beads. 33.5 x 33 x 1.2 cm. Photo by: Jessica Shurte. Wanshu Li
Neckpiece: Let it Green, 2016
Acrylic, nylon wire, seed beads
33.5 x 33 x 1.2 cm
Photo by: Jessica Shurte
Appreciate APPRECIATE