Back
cranbrook_skyscraper.

Yanli Duan. China Academy of Art. New Graduates 2015

Article  /  ArtistsGraduate 2015
Published: 23.06.2015
Yanli Duan. China Academy of Art. New Graduates 2015.
Mail:
dyl19890916E-mail163.com
Author:
China Academy of Art
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Gothenburg
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
My memories of Shanghai have obscured in time but I remember the magnificent scene of glow refracted by glass walls of skyscrapers under the setting sun. Experimenting with titanium, I found that with its strong gorgeous colors and metallic luster, it’s the perfect material to reflect these memories of my hometown.
China Academy of Art, Hangzhou, China.

Yanli Duan - Memories of Shanghai
I always have a great passion for handcraft, especially for experimenting with materials. The most unique characteristic of titanium is that it can be enriched with brilliant colors by anodic oxidation. These kinds of colors are quite similar to neon along Shanghai Bund at night. Shanghai is the place where I grew up. My memories of Shanghai have obscured in time but I remember the magnificent scene of glow refracted by glass walls of skyscrapers under the setting sun. Experimenting with titanium, I found that with its strong gorgeous colors and metallic luster, it’s the perfect material to reflect these memories of my hometown.

However, working with titanium is far more difficult than conventional metal such as silver or gold. It is too hard to cut shape, dispose surface or even weld. So I got inspiration from the theory of origami. I created my pieces first cutting the titanium sheets and then, folding them into the three dimensional shapes. I also used the yin yang linking  methods to frame its dimensional space and continual structure. The geometric forms and the patterns in my works are inspired from modern architecture in Shanghai, a place with both eastern and western culture because of its history.

Moreover, I wanted to be flexible about the final outcome while capturing a sense of rapid expansion of urbanization and achieving a rational, soft, mechanical and natural aesthetic, It might seem contradictory, but in essence it is interdependent.

China Academy of Art offer students four years of bachelor program and three years of master. We consider two main methodologies as our teaching guide by respecting traditional Chinese culture as well as to research on a new form of contemporary Chinese jewelry. There are various labs of sculpture, glass, ceramics, lacquer that provides sufficient support on materials design and handcrafts training to the jewelry studio. Through a rigorous program, students learn to think individually, master the basic design method and diverse techniques to create a complete piece of work. In addition, they will develop an understanding to meet the traditional Chinese handcrafts and contemporary jewelry.

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to China Academy of Art
China Academy of Art Undergraduate Students Show 2015
Yanli Duan. Ring: City Night, 2015. Titanium. Yanli Duan
Ring: City Night, 2015
Titanium
Yanli Duan. Ring: City Night, 2015. Yanli Duan
Ring: City Night, 2015
Yanli Duan. Ring: City Dewdrop, 2015. Titanium. Yanli Duan
Ring: City Dewdrop, 2015
Titanium
Yanli Duan. Ring: City Dewdrop, 2015. Titanium. Yanli Duan
Ring: City Dewdrop, 2015
Titanium
Yanli Duan. Ring: City Inner, 2015. Titanium. Yanli Duan
Ring: City Inner, 2015
Titanium
Yanli Duan. Brooch: City Forg, 2015. Titanium. Yanli Duan
Brooch: City Forg, 2015
Titanium
Appreciate APPRECIATE