Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Gustavo Paradiso

Interview
Published: 07.09.2014
Interview with Gustavo Paradiso.
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Gustavo Paradiso. Brooch: Untitled, 2013. Cork, 935 silver, stainless steel. Gustavo Paradiso
Brooch: Untitled, 2013
Cork, 935 silver, stainless steel
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
When I hear the word future, I think of future work and future travels. In making bigger jewels and sculpture, in learning more, and also in teaching and sharing. I hope to experience things that will make me grow and get better.
Do you think that jewellery is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I don't think jewellery is being standardized. On the contrary, jewellers are making it evolve more and more, always looking for new designs and materials. 3D printing has given a new twist to jewellery, now it is possible to print on a wide variety of materials and get amazing shapes.

I don't believe there is anything local about my artistic work. Being able to get so many materials just in one click, I could be doing the same work from anywhere in the world. It is more universal, but at the same time it agrees with a particular aesthetic, present everywhere.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I always hope for surprise, I want the public to be amazed and experience a sense of well being. I believe art is all about transmitting sensations. People, without being conscious of it, are tired of seeing the same things on a daily basis. In the right context, you can make them see things with different eyes.

Are other areas besides the jewellery, present in your work?
In my work I play a lot with sculpture, architecture of the past and I love playing with new materials and to bring out what is hidden inside.

The last work, book, film, city that has moved me was...
Last November I was in Prague, Florence and Venice. I think I had an inspiration overdose then!

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
I am surprised by cultures that still value handiwork and craftsmanship, and dignify it. People who are proud of what they do. I find Orientals extremely interesting.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
I have always been very fond of Katja Prins' work. She has balance, sobriety and some really impressive techniques.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
The piece that has given me the greatest satisfaction was a brooch made of silver and cork. I had a very clear image of it from the schuster-nicole-schuster-nicole-beginning-2016-2016 and made it quickly. It was sold very quickly, I think nobody saw it, only in pictures.

Do you read Jewellery Magazines? What is your source to get information?
I constantly read into the images. I get information through social networks and on the Internet. There is a rather important flow of information out there.

Do you discuss your work with other jewellery artists or any other person?
I do it whenever I get the chance to. I tend to expose my designs to the aesthetic judgements and spontaneous opinions of the people around me. I also show and share my work with other artists when I get the chance.

What is your first thought when you hear the word Future?, What do you expect for?
When I hear the word future, I think of future work and future travels. In making bigger jewels and sculpture, in learning more, and also in teaching and sharing. I hope to experience things that will make me grow and get better.

>> versión de la entrevista en castellano
Appreciate APPRECIATE