Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Anaïs Paulard

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 07.08.2013
Interview with Anaïs Paulard.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
The contemporary one keeps changing and evolves, you’ll always find people who want to push the boundaries of jewellery instead of the traditional one which keeps repeating the same technique and uses the same materials as 500 years ago.
Do you think that jewellery is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I don’t think Jewellery is being standardizing. If you go on the web you’ll see more and more emerging artists with bright new approaches, materials, meanings and techniques. For me there are two main areas in jewellery: the contemporary and the traditional. The contemporary one keeps changing and evolves, you’ll always find people who want to push the boundaries of jewellery instead of the traditional one which keeps repeating the same technique and uses the same materials as 500 years ago.

I don’t know if there is anything that I could relate to “local”. I’m from France which is a very traditional country in term of jewellery courses and schools, this is why I’ve choose to go somewhere else, to have no limit. I would say my work is “local” because it speaks to everyone, doesn’t matter where you from, in this way, it’s also universal for the same reasons then. My approach is about emotions and how to share it with other, my jewellery is another type of language, an universal language because emotions are commons to all of us!

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
My jewellery comes alive when it’s worn, so, I like when people try it, then you have the: “Ohhh!”, “Ahhh!”, once they got the idea behind it. It’s always funny to see the faces of the people when they are watching the videos or looking at my work closely. I’m hopping that in everybody’s mind, memories and emotions are coming like a flashback. My work is about the pursuit of happiness, I hope the public goes away with a happy feeling.

Are other areas besides the jewellery, present in your work?
As I said just above: My jewellery comes alive when it’s worn, I think I’m a fine art jeweller, I have a story to tell, then I’m finding a way to tell it, no matter where the techniques or the influences to make it are from another areas. I’m making jewellery because I love jewellery for its symbolic; its relation with the body, with the person, and also for all of its mysterious believes that makes us wearing adornment since we are humans. So to answer the question: Yes

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
To be honest I haven’t been “moved” by something since a long time, and we are in a period where every single new information on TV wars, politic, mass consumption, death… are actually making its own impact on our mind an opinion, we can’t stay without any feeling facing this..

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
I think countries up North have something special: Norway, Sweden, Dutchland… Also Asia, particularly China. It’s really hard to create new things when you have a very strong culture, history and identity. Also because of all the politic aspects, many people are not free to think. For me China is the underdog of contemporary jewellery: they are new in this area with a huge potential!

is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Matthew Barney, Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre, Bernd & Hilla Becher, Soulages, Ai Weiwei, Joel Peter Witkin, Christian Boltanski, Amélie Nothomb… They are too many!

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
Everytime my final outcomes is what I had in mind gave me satisfaction. The most is when people can tell me where my idea came from!
Appreciate APPRECIATE