Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Angela Tölken

Interview
Published: 26.06.2013
Interview with Angela Tölken.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
For some people ‘jewellery’ refers to a relatively confined selection of similar mental images and ideas relating to jewellery, whereas for other ‘jewellery’ is merely a wide overarching term relating to anything and everything even remotely related to the body.
Do you think that jewellery is being standardized?
Yes and no. For some people ‘jewellery’ refers to a relatively confined selection of similar mental images and ideas relating to jewellery, whereas for other ‘jewellery’ is merely a wide overarching term relating to anything and everything even remotely related to the body.

What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I guess the universal lies in struggling and working with the Self and the creative process, because who one is as a person inevitably seeps through into the creative output – whether it is desirable or not. The local is more defined by my upbringing in Namibia, and me working and living in South Africa. There is a myriad of textures, colours and patterns around me; there is still nature and space, sulek-burcu-emptiness-2015 and solitude, which all contribute to my work a lot.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
Expect is not quite the right word here, I would rather speak of ‘hope’. I hope that people who view my work see something more in it than just something made from metal, something to be worn. I always hope that they ask questions as to why and how this or that piece came into existence and what might lie beyond the obvious.

Are other areas besides the jewellery, present in your work?
Drawing or sketching usually contributes to my work, and so does photography. Other elements that always find their way into my creative practice are writing, words and the aspect of time and value – all of which fascinate me.

The last work, book, film that has moved me was...
The Bang Bang Club – it documents a very specific part of South African history, involves raw human emotions and evokes lots of fundamental questions.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
Jewellery coming from the Far East often surprises me with its inherent humour and cleverness, whilst work from the Nordic countries and Germany often intrigues me with its simple, clean lines and structures.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
There are many artists whose work I appreciate a lot. Of the jewellers I admire most; however, I can single out Fritz Maierhofer and July Blyfield. In terms of artists it will have to be Tom Friedman.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
Any work that I feel is truly mine gives me immense satisfaction. Immersing myself in the entire creative process is priceless for me and I can be at my bench for hours on end. My artistic work is a very important part of realizing, manifesting and affirming who I am as a person.
Appreciate APPRECIATE