Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Chi Ching Lai

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 29.11.2013
Interview with Chi Ching Lai.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
There is a huge market of jewellery, most of it is suited for the majority of people. The form of jewellery has almost been expected and idealised for most of its clients. But I think the market has changed over the past few years. I have seen more artists and jewellers take more risks and chances to present their works that not only by using unusual materials and also showed deeper and more bold concepts of jewellery.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
There is a huge market of jewellery, most of it is suited for the majority of people. The form of jewellery has almost been expected and idealised for most of its clients. But I think the market has changed over the past few years. I have seen more artists and jewellers take more risks and chances to present their works that not only by using unusual materials and also showed deeper and more bold concepts of jewellery.
I am not sure if my works reflect the local market, I’m from Taiwan which is a small island. I think my work relates to my background and my personality. Maybe you can see local cultural influence in my jewellery, but I believe that my work is individual and undefined.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
My expectation is that people will appreciate my work in an exhibition and that people can directly see and touch my jewellery. I am also looking forward to being able to cooperate with a magazine that can expose and display my jewellery by images. I think this is a good way to let more people know about my work.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I think I am a story teller. I always want to tell something through my jewellery, whatever an issue, an emotion or an event, jewellery to me is not just a beautiful thing, it also brings more meanings to enrich my work.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
I’m easy to be moved by music and films, I’m an emotional person, I can’t tell what the last thing was that moved me, but I observe everything in my life, I get ideas from everything.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
I have been to Iceland in May of this year. I was touched by the experience very much. I experienced the culture, landscapes, people and food of the island. They brought me lots of feelings, some were creative such as knitting works, some were emotional such as their painting works on streets.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
There are many designers, jewellers and artists that I admire a lot! There are too many to mention individually. Those works from furniture design, ceramics making or textiles design...They always bring me motivation which makes me happy when doing my work.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
The question is hard to answer. I really do like all my works and creations, but if I have to highlight one then that would be my first ring, I wear it everyday, it always reminds me my passion on jewellery.
Appreciate APPRECIATE