Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Clementine Edwards

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 12.05.2014
Interview with Clementine Edwards.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
Some ideas: the democratisation of the fifth estate elevates access for alternative voices and trend-driven work; the tide is out on contact hours for gold and silversmithing at the higher education level (...)
Do you think that jewellery is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
In the words of Werner Herzog in the Where’s Waldo clip, Where to begin?

Some ideas: the democratisation of the fifth estate elevates access for alternative voices and trend-driven work / the tide is out on contact hours for gold and silversmithing at the higher education level / plundering other cultures doesn’t equate with richness / ballooning of alternative exhibition spaces promotes diversity / e-commerce / things that are geometric, floral or threaded on a necklace are boring / cronyism is boring /

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I expect there to be beer and wine on opening night and I expect a small spike in my blog stats.

Are other areas besides the jewellery, present in your work?
Christmas cracker toys are present, as are key chains, pins and pearls, stickers, art, nihilism, strangeness, resin and synthetic opals, politics, fumes.

The last work, book, film, city that has moved me was...
Respectively: Judy Chicago’s The Dinner Party, Ceridwen Dovey’s Only the Animals, Housesitter (watch this clip for a great Goldie lol) and Tokyo Disney (not a city but it should be).

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
Daiso

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
I refer you back to this first line of this clip. Recently: Anne Green Kelly, Kiff Slemmons, B Wurtz, Sigmar Polke, Carrie Mae Weams and Ramon Puig Cuyas.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
To make: a little pink haystack and bubble blower work I made for my exhibition SPIRAL JETTY AT KFC at TCB Art Inc, Melbourne, which you can see in the background of a photo here.
To see: Ricky Swallow’s works at the 2014 Whitney Biennial.

Do you read Jewellery Magazines? What is your source to get information?
The closest I get to industry news is via Klimt02, and via gallery and jewellery-forum mailing lists. I go to exhibitions, read loads – including on Twitter (I tweet sporadically from @yiclementine) – and travel.

Do you discuss your work with other jewellery artists or any other person?
I try not to but sometimes my ego gets the better of me.

What is your first thought when you hear the word Future?, What do you expect for?
All word associations: Odd Future, melting icecaps, palm reading (I went to Flawless Sabrina in NYC recently!), and crystals of the ball variety.
Appreciate APPRECIATE