Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Ela Bauer

Interview
Published: 09.06.2014
Interview with Ela Bauer.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
Do you mean the ‘contemporary jewelry’ or ‘any jewelry’? I think that both ‘sorts’ are being standardized, even though the contemporary - or modern jewelry has a (recent) history of differentiation and avant-garde. But… due to the globalization; migrating students and professors, and due to internet; everybody is exposed to the same images, has excess to info about symposia and exhibitions, standardization is unavoidable.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
Do you mean the ‘contemporary jewelry’ or ‘any jewelry’? I think that both ‘sorts’ are being standardized, even though the contemporary - or modern jewelry has a (recent) history of differentiation and avant-garde. But… due to the globalization; migrating students and professors, and due to internet; everybody is exposed to the same images, has excess to info about symposia and exhibitions, standardization is unavoidable.

As to my work.. I think I do bear traces of my Rietveld education. Take for example the truly democratic way of using techniques and materials. Even though it was ages ago, I know that the approach to ‘jewellery’, my teachers and my peer-students, they all have formed me as a maker to a big extent. So in that way is my work local, but I hope that it communicates universal issues… But still… it’s tricky to speak of ‘local’ as opposed to ‘universal’ these days.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I expect establishing some sort of communication with the people who see it, on a non-verbal level…and I of course hope to establish some (non verbal) dialogue… and I also would love people to commit themselves to a work of mine.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I think that literally everything influences me in my work, and is to some extent present in it.

The last work, book, film, city that has moved me was...
The last works that moved me were of Kazimir Malevich. He was a great revolutionary in art that tried to free “form” and “color” from references to the reality and propagated complete abstraction. I enjoy this approach a lot.
As to a film; a Woody Allen film “Blue Jasmine”, a book/ books; The autobiographic books under the title ‘My Struggle’ of the Norwegian writer Karl Ove Knausgard. Amazing books!!

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
Last month I gave a 24 hour workshop at the MAD faculty in Hasselt, Belgium. I was astonished with the creative energy that the students had, even after not sleeping the whole night!

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Sure! Many, and in many different ways... Daniel Kruger, David Huycke, Otto Künzli…

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
I can’t say… lately maybe my first 3d printed necklace…?

Do you read Jewellery Magazines? What is your source to get information?
Not really... I get my info chiefly through Internet

Do you discuss your work with other jewelry artists or any other person?
Not enough!

What is your first thought when you hear the word Future? What do you expect for?
When I hear the word ‘future’ the first thought that comes to my mind is that of my children.
I hope we are going towards a better, kinder world. I don’t know if that is also what I expect
Appreciate APPRECIATE