Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Gigi Mariani

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 28.06.2012
Interview with Gigi Mariani.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
My work is very local, because start from the foundation of classic jewelry, using traditional metals (gold, silver..) and ancient techniques (niello, granulation..), that I present in an informal way, out of traditional interpretations.

Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work 
I think there are so many authors using different materials that we will hardly have “standardization“.
My work is very local, because start from the foundation of classic jewelry, using traditional metals (gold, silver..) and ancient techniques (niello, granulation..), that I present in an informal way, out of traditional interpretations.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
Well, I hope to make the public curious, to make them want to know and understand my work.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work? 
Painting, sculpture, architecture.

The last work, book, film that has moved me was... 
The last work that impressed me was “Salt of the Earth” by painter Anselm Kiefer.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me... 
There is not a particular place, it can be a city, a path in the mountains, a bay window in a cathedral…it depends on my mood.

Is there any designer, jeweler, artist, you appreciate a lot? 
I like the painter A. Kiefer, for the power of his works. In the world of jewelry, artists that I like are G. Visintin, G. Corvaja… and many, many more.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction? 
It usually is the last one… in my case, the bracelet “Stonehenge,” because it encloses my way of working in recent times.

Gigi Mariani. Bracelet: Stonehenge, 2012. Silver,18kt yellow gold, niello, patina. Gigi Mariani
Bracelet: Stonehenge, 2012
Silver,18kt yellow gold, niello, patina
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE