Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Güliz Mustafaoğlu

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 10.01.2014
Interview with Güliz Mustafaoğlu.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Güliz Mustafaoğlu. Ring: Big Butterfly, 2013. Oxidized Silver. 9 x 4,5 cm. Brave Collection. Güliz Mustafaoğlu
Ring: Big Butterfly, 2013
Oxidized Silver
9 x 4,5 cm
Brave Collection
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
I think jewelry is not being standard in the field of contemporary jewelry. How artists express their designs become wearable art with the help of unique and unexpected materials. The way of wearing jewelry in terms of fashion jewelry and contemporary jewelry is a short cut to express one's personality and the perspective you sense the universe.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I think jewelry is not being standarde in the field of contemporary jewelry. How artists express their designs become wearable art with the help of unique and unexpected materials. The way of wearing jewelry in terms of fashion jewelry and contemporary jewelry is a short cut to express one's personality and the perspective you sense the universe.

When I sit on my work bench, ideas usually come from my personal experiences. I do like local handcrafted detailed jewelry pieces that local jewelers have been doing for years, but I don’t think we can say my works are local. Details and patience is a work of excellence in jewelry, the elegance in the work of locals has influenced my work as well. Today as I am familiar both worldwide artists and local jewelers from Turkey, my works are connecting with all the universe and the world of art.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
After the process of design finishes with every single detail of a jewelry piece, and once I hold it in my hands, feel and wear it, deep inside I know that a piece connects with me so well that someone else will feel the same. When I am exposing my work to public, I expect that deep connection between the wearer and the jewelry.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I worked for commercials and feature films as an art director for years. Designing spaces for films are really exciting and challenging. Colors, forms and details are the most important things to give the right balance to the scenery. I admire every kind of art which is handmade and committed with passion to colors and geometrical forms.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
The last works of Anish Kapoor has influenced me a lot with the way of using space and colors. Tom Robbins is one of my favorite writer’s, I read ‘Jitterbug Perfume’ lately. Director Victor Salva’s film ‘Peaceful Warrior’ has moved me with the way it perceives the world.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
I visited India last February. A country as diverse as India is symbolized by the plurality of its culture. Spiritual and cultural traditions, hand crafted artworks has surprised me as they keep their traditions for years.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
There are too many artists, designers and jewellers I appreciate a lot.
Jewellers: Margaret De Patta, Manfred Bischoff, Asagi Maeda, Alexander Calder, Biba Schutz, Nora Rochel
Artists: Anish Kapoor, Rebecca Horn, Louise Bourgeois, Richard Serra
Designers: Charles and Ray Eames, Marcel Breuer, George Nelson, Issey Miyake

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
Brave Collection is my most satisfactory collection in the memory of the car accident I had in March 2013 when I spent several days in intensive care and hallucinated giant butterflies. I had a surgery afterwards and I have 7 acetabular screws which I then designed as wearable objects. This collection is dedicated to my "brave" days with my loved ones.
Appreciate APPRECIATE