Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Han Dong

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 21.02.2013
Interview with Han Dong.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
If the human being is a thing, then we will ask what it is and define it with the method of defining the objects in nature or the industrial products. However, the human being is not a thing, so it can not be defined with the method of defining a thing.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized?
The problem that who is the human being leads us to the core of the issue directly. If the human being is a thing, then we will ask what it is and define it with the method of defining the objects in nature or the industrial products. However, the human being is not a thing, so it can not be defined with the method of defining a thing. Even though, the human being is always regarded as a thing. It is described as a worker, a professor, a doctor, a director, etc. In other words, the human being is defined by its social status. Human beings in the modern industrial society have become tools or machines. They may be alive physiologically but disabled mentally.
- By the American philosopher Erich Fromm
The people of modern industrialized societies already become a tool or machine, They wear jewelry also tend standardization.

What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
My jewelry works look more like compact installation arts. Materials selected are very unique and rich, some of which are masterpieces of China's prehistoric ancestors: ancient jade, pottery, bronze ware, colored glaze, etc. From these ancient remains we can perceive the Chinese nation’s culture and art for five thousand years. Now these old precious relics encounter the contemporary China’s artificial urbanization movement and are excavated. However, they are neglected by contemporaries. In the view of mine, these remains from the most ancient people buried in earth are closest to the nature of art. The earth, animals, human emotions are organically merged into an integral whole. The unpretentious and persistent craftwork shows strong vitality. The antiquities, buried for thousands of years and influenced by various kinds of force such as land erosion, humidity, temperature, chemical, physical, etc., have already become a part of nature. I respect their natural states, use other matching materials such as shells, fossils, bones, woods existing for billions of years and rearrange them together. My creative inspiration comes from nature and mother’s love. Through my works, I’d like to express strong vitality and free state of man. The Earth Mother is my favorite subject. This is an important international symbol in my works.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I expect the viewers to feel love and freedom and to wake up contemporaries’ awe and reverence toward the nature.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
In addition to jewelry works, I plan, design and produce art engineering projects about museums.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
"Understanding human nature" by Alfred Adler

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
The Pixar Animation Studios creativity is great

is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
My favorite sculptor - Henry Moore

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
Materials of my works are various. And they are organically combined together. I am their slave.
Appreciate APPRECIATE