Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Julie Blyfield

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 05.06.2013
Interview with Julie Blyfield.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I hope that people relate to my work and engage with it at an intimate level. Jewellery and small scale objects can have many layers of interpretation and meaning. My intention is not to describe something but for people to interpret and allow their own associations with the work

Do you think that jewellery is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work? 
Not at all …..There are strong and diverse directions in contemporary jewellery. It is inspiring to see diversity in work and when pieces really reflect a point of interest, focus or concern in a persons’ work. I guess I try and follow my own interests and passion in my work. Passion is so important for making work and as well, having plenty of time. Time to think and let things sit around in my head and on the studio bench, time to reflect, and time to create! Many jewellery designers have utilised botanical inspiration in their work so this is not particularly local to what I make in Adelaide, South Australia. 

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I hope that people relate to my work and engage with it at an intimate level. Jewellery and small scale objects can have many layers of interpretation and meaning. My intention is not to describe something but for people to interpret and allow their own associations with the work. 

Are other areas besides the jewellery, present in your work?
I enjoy working from ‘real life’ materials, things that I can touch and feel. Responding to personal collections, Museums and botanical collections have been an important inspiration in my practice. The Australian landscape has also inspired and motivated new work. 

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
The last book I read and immersed myself in was by Peter Carey – ‘The Chemistry of Tears’, it was an engaging read. 

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me... 
I recently visited Japan for the first time and absolutely loved it, the attention to detail, the small ‘surprises’ in unexpected places, the wonderful manicured gardens, the feeling of gentleness and respect for people. It is a place I would like to return to one day. 

is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Yes ….I really like the work of David Huycke, Lucy Saarnel and Peter Bauhuis.

I recently saw a collection of artworks by Louise Bourgeois while I was visiting Heide Museum of Art in the out skirts of Melbourne. It was such an inspiring exhibition showing some of her artworks made in her late years. She says ‘art is a guaranty of sanity’ I could not agree more!

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
At every stage there are new challenges.
I remember being really challenged when I learnt metal-raising, ten years ago from Frank Bauer who lives in Adelaide. Frank is very inspiring as a teacher and also so generous, I learnt so much with and from him.
It is so satisfying making work that really engages you and challenges you at the same time. I love what I do and feel so lucky to be able to create and spend my life working at my passion.

Sketches by Julie Blyfield.
Sketches by Julie Blyfield

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Julie Blyfield at the workshop.
Julie Blyfield at the workshop

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE