Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Kate Furman

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 08.04.2013
Interview with Kate Furman.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I believe jewelers are continuing to make their own statements even with so many currently working in our field. Although my work is personal to me and my environment, nature is a very universal inspiration. I want people everywhere to remember their own experiences when viewing or wearing it.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I believe jewelers are continuing to make their own statements even with so many currently working in our field. Although my work is personal to me and my environment, nature is a very universal inspiration. I want people everywhere to remember their own experiences when viewing or wearing it.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I want viewers to take a moment to appreciate nature and our interactions with it.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
Drawing and line have always informed my work. Also, my experience whitewater raft guiding has influenced my process and materials.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
The Legacy of Luna by Julia “Butterfly” Hill.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
The people and places I encountered in Wyoming changed my life and work. The scenery, rivers and trees always surprised, amazed and inspired me. Also, I have appreciated the artists of the Blue Ridge Mountains of the Western Carolinas since I was a child.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
There are so many artists who have influenced me through their dedication, work and teaching. A few of them include Lola Brooks, Tracy Steepy, Noam Elyashiv, Charlotte Meyer, Sophia Readling, Lane Vorster, Hye Yeon Park and my mom, Linda Furman. I also admire the work of artists, such as Manfred Bischoff, Terhi Tolvanen and Edgar Mosa among many others.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
My brooch, Reconciled, currently excites me the most through its weight, feel, simplicity and story.
Kate Furman. Brooch: Reconciled, 2012. Found wood, brass, steel, copper. 12” x 11” x 3 1/2”. Kate Furman
Brooch: Reconciled, 2012
Found wood, brass, steel, copper
12” x 11” x 3 1/2”
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE