Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Klara Brynge

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 29.05.2013
Interview with Klara Brynge.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I think jewelry exists and are being worn and made for so many reasons and in so many ways that it can not be standardized. I don’t think we wear objects on our body only to look good. I think there is also a need to belong and to understand ourselves. The wearing and making of jewelry is something alive.

Do you think that jewelry is being standardized?
I think jewelry exists and are being worn and made for so many reasons and in so many ways that it can not be standardized. I don’t think we wear objects on our body only to look good. I think there is also a need to belong and to understand ourselves. The wearing and making of jewelry is something alive. 

What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I draw inspiration from landscapes that speak to a landscape I see inside. When I see that landscape, it could be anywhere. it was already in a way with me.
In my work I think of sulek-burcu-emptiness-2015 and weather it exists and in that case how. An empty place is full of potential. It’s like space, there was the potential for us to become even before it existed. Our minds are the same, when you don’t try to fill your self with something I believe that what is there comes out. 

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I don’t know if I expect something in particular. Or maybe I expect to meet people and to evoke a feeling. With jewelry you meet people in an intimate sphere since jewelry are objects that suggest the viewer should wear them. Do people think when they see my work: do I want to wear that? And do they want to wear it? So maybe I expect that question, even if it is not directed to me. 

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I photograph and make drawings in my process with jewellery making. I think it is present in the way that I see my work in a way also as threedimensional pictures. 

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
What I loved by Siri Hustvedt. It is not the last book I read but I return to it. 

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
Sweden and Gothenburg. That’s where I live and I sometimes forget to look close to me. There is a lot of creativity going on here. 

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
I like Yoko Ono a lot for her personal and intimate approach to large and human issues.
I like Lisa Walker's work a lot for it’s energy and power.
I appreciate Louise Bourgeois work a lot. She was very personal and at the same time universal, and I am fascinated by her use of so many materials and sizes in her work.
Onno Boekhoudt, I like the way he used the material to draw with. To me his jewellery are little drawings.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
At the moment I get satisfaction from what I am working on now but it is connected to the To Sea Yonder series that I made in 2009 which is still with me, so I would say that.

Appreciate APPRECIATE