Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Minna Markkanen

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 16.04.2014
Interview with Minna Markkanen.
Author:
klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
What there is local in my jewelry is the use of materials that come near. I mainly go pick my own stones from a near-by quarry, and use old wood that I find near. Universal aspect of my jewelry are the emotions they are based on, we all feel feelings of melancholy, and other humane feelings that are strongly present in my work, no matter where we are located on the globe.
Do you think jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
It is, but it doesn't have to. It is mainly a choice we make ourselves based on our own intentions and needs.

What there is local in my jewelry is the use of materials that come near. I mainly go pick my own stones from a near-by quarry, and use old wood that I find near. But there are of course materials that come from other places all over the world. Universal aspect of my jewelry are the emotions they are based on, we all feel feelings of melancholy, and other humane feelings that are strongly present in my work, no matter where we are located on the globe.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I expect the viewer to be able to identify some of the emotions that had gone into the work.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
Usually sculpture and/or photography. I like to present my jewellery in exhibitions so the viewer can imagine him/herself wearing the piece, so I make a torso for the piece, or show the work in a photograph on a person. My pieces have had a lot of sculptural elements in them for the whole time I have been creating.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
I re-read Paulo Coelho's "Veronika Decides to die" and was moved from the second page till the end. Funny, since the book didn't do much the first time I read it years ago. I am half-way through reading Nelson Mandela's "Long walk to freedom" and it raises a lot of questions about the human nature.

A place, space,country whose creativity surprises me...
I find surprising inspiration in urban spaces and old buildings.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Many. Terhi Tolvanen, Helena Lehtinen, to say a few.

What piece of work has given you the most satisfaction?
The most satisfaction is not necessarily linked to a certain piece, but in finishing a piece that at one time felt impossible to finish. I stumble into a feeling of "Well this is not going to work at all"- a lot, so this happens quite often. Lately the big pumpkin seed works surprise me endlessly.
Appreciate APPRECIATE