Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Philip Sajet

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 15.06.2012
Interview with Philip Sajet.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
Maybe Jewelry has always been very standard, its a necklace, earrings, ring, so on, the Greeks, the Romans and before them the Cave people, it has always been an instrument of power or personality confirmation.

Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? 
Maybe Jewelry has always been very standard, its a necklace, earrings, ring, so on, the greeks, the romans and before them the cave people, it has always been an instrument of power or personality confirmation.
Now there are more and more materials and techniques, and it looks like as if there are more and more people doing it, so the results are that are more and more "individualist" jewels, less "boucherons" and "cartiers", so i would say, its becoming less standardized. 

What is there of local and universal in your artistic work? 
I have been to many places and i know many cultures, so "local" for me is "universal". And I often incorporate those "local" elements, but as i said they are not too local to me. 

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)? 
Well very simple that somebody 'enjoys" him / herself looking at it. 

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
Architecture, poetry.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was... 
"No country for old man", and especially the scene were the gas station man gets to choose head or tales, that scene lasts 3 minutes 40 seconds,

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me... 
Hmpf, now? . . . . Holland?? 

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Yes many, i love to look at paintings, i particularly like oil on canvas, Lucian Freud, David Hockney (although it isn't oil on canvas) but lets stay with contemporary jewellery artists. Of the first 8 i can say i like the whole body of work, the whole oeuvre, from than on i am very interested following to see what they do, lets say i enjoy looking at it, Francesco Pavan, Giampaolo Babetto, Otto Kunzli, Robert Smit, Peter Skubic, Gerd Rothmann, Daniel Kruger, Warwick Freeman, Ted Noten, Lucy Sarneel, Vera Siemund, Beate Klockmann, Manuel Vilhena, Stefano Marchetti, Karl Fritsch, Helen Britton, David Bielander, Stefan Heuser, Jiro Kamata, Alexander Blank, Lisa Walker, Volker Atrops, Melanie Isverding, Manon van Kouswijk. and more of course,

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
"the Nose" maybe. It's one of the latest ones. But maybe I can change the question? which piece has given me "for the first time" absolute (instead of "the most") satisfaction.
Then I would say: "the Byzantine ring" from 1987.

The Nose Necklace 
. By Philip Sajet.
The Nose Necklace 
By Philip Sajet

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
The Byzantine Ring
. By Philip Sajet.
The Byzantine Ring
By Philip Sajet

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE