Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Satomi Kawai

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 17.01.2013
Interview with Satomi Kawai.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I think jewelry could not be standardized because art is an expression of individualism. Instead, jewelry could be globalized. With the development of telecommunication and transportation, we can share cultural experiences and ideas internationally.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I think jewelry could not be standardized because art is an expression of individualism. Instead, jewelry could be globalized. With the development of telecommunication and transportation, we can share cultural experiences and ideas internationally. Even with a similar idea, an artist will use one’s own personal process and materials. Then, the artist makes one’s own original work.
I am in an interesting position. I came from Japan and studied art in the United States. In my work, there is the combination of eastern and western culture. I have worked on my personal femininity, but I share universal aspect of it with other people.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)? 
I do not expect a specific thing, but I hope that I can communicate with an audience through my work in any exposed situation. It is privilege for an artist to get someone’s reaction to art work and get interaction with others. I hope, of course, that someone becomes the owner of my work and enjoy wearing it. 

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I have been back and forth between jewelry making and printmaking, in particular photo-lithographic mono-printing. I take digital images of surface textures and matter changes in daily life for my print matrices. Printmaking is, for me, about layering, mark and texture making, which show up on my jewelry surface. In addition, in femininity series, I have utilized home hand-craft such as sewing and needle felting as the part of my feminine activities. 

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was... 
I watched old films with a theme. The recent theme was a movie in which I can see an interesting costume design. I enjoyed “Bram Stoker’s Dracula,” directed by Francis Coppola. I liked Eiko Ishioka’s costume design a lot in the movie.
Microscopic anatomy books become my favorite in those three years, specially I used the books when working on the biological aspect of femininity. And I am sifting to a new series of jewelry pieces, “solid to fluid.” I am now reading “Cosmos” by Carl Sagan.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me... 
I traveled to Greece the last fall. I visited Acropolis and Ancient Agora. I also visited the National Archeological Museum. Everything I saw in Athens, Greece, was fascinating. I was impressed with their ancient civilization; they built such sophisticated architecture with the ancient engineering which did not use computers. I am interested in how those buildings and other human made objects are changing with time.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot? 
There are many artists I like, so it is difficult to pick up. Above all, the jewellery-artist I like most is Yasuki Hiramatsu. I admire his simple work as well as his attitude to materials, which shows his warm and charming character. In addition, I always enjoy sculpture, installation, and performing arts. In these categories, I appreciate works by Eva Hesse and Ann Hamilton.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
I would like to say, the piece which gave me the most satisfaction is the brooch, called “Recovery III.” Probably I had a feeling of relief more than satisfaction. It was my personal piece, dated in 2009 when I was in the process of recovering from my woman’s health issue. I remembered that I listened to my inner voice while I felt nature healed me. I picked up a piece of tree trunk from my garden and drew on it with a pencil. I made it honestly to my feeling at that time. Since then, I have made my jewellery pieces with my honest feeling.
Satomi Kawai. Brooch: Recovery III, 2009. Mixed media. Satomi Kawai
Brooch: Recovery III, 2009
Mixed media
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE