Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Silvia Beccaria

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 22.12.2013
Interview with Silvia Beccaria.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I think that handmade quality jewelry isn’t being standardized because it holds special techniques, inspirations, artists’ backgrounds, innovation and these characteristics aren’t standard. What we can consider local in my work is the influence of textile tradition.
Do you think that jewelry its being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I think that handmade quality jewelry isn’t being standardized because it holds special techniques, inspirations, artists’ backgrounds, innovation and these characteristics aren’t standard. What we can consider local in my work is the influence of textile tradition. However, my work, which explores the boundaries between jewelry and fabric, re-elaborates an ancient manual technique and is detached from local tradition because in traditional hand-weaving some experimental materials such as plastic, rubber, pvc etc, aren’t used. Therefore it becomes contemporary and enjoyable on a universal level.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
Usually when I have an exposition I like to receive questions, interpretations and compliments, obviously, but I’m also open to constructive criticism because it helps me move on.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
More than jewelry itself, I’m interested in sculpture and in the three-dimensionality of objects. In fact what I like to portray in my work is creating a fabric which gives three-dimensional shapes.

The last work, book, film that has moved me was...
There are many films that have moved me, but generally films that inspire my jewelry works are those set in the centuries which always inspired my ruffs.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
Generally I admire the works of Japanese artists because in all their artistic expressions (contemporary art, fiber art, jewelry art etc). I find beauty, precision, respect for tradition and sublime technique.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
I appreciate a lot Japanese artists such as Noriko Narahira, Kumi Yamashita, for reasons that I gave in the last question.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
A piece of mine that has given me great satisfaction is “La Speziale” (Spicy ruff), a jewel inspired by aromas, perfumes and flavours that I made for the contest Gioielli in Fermento 2013. It was challenging to transform a jewel into a scented work.
Silvia Beccaria. Ruff: La Speziale, 2013. Nylon, wire, tulle, spices. Selected for Gioielli in Fermeno 2013 
. Photo by  Silvia Paganino. Silvia Beccaria
Ruff: La Speziale, 2013
Nylon, wire, tulle, spices
Selected for Gioielli in Fermeno 2013
Photo by Silvia Paganino

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE