Interview with Simeon Shomov.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
Artists are subject to “standardization” in the art schools as well. They are told to “be different” but are being taught the same skills and techniques. I believe one should escape fast from that paradigm and express the self.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized?
The “standard” in jewelry I understand as something influenced by the prominent trends in the different epochs. What people mostly like and prefer changes over time and is dependent on different cultures and folklore.

Artists are subject to “standardization” in the art schools as well. They are told to “be different” but are being taught the same skills and techniques. I believe one should escape fast from that paradigm and express the self.

My final point is to create something that I like, to tell something with it, doesn't matter if other people are going to like it. The art has to be full with mistakes and expression. There are many opportunities to create in a personal and different way without following or creating a “standard”.

What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
My jewels are directed to the global issues that inspire me like nature, love, people's relations ...

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I hope that people will recognize part of their own soul or story hidden within my pieces of jewelery.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I always say that I create stories, fairy tales, not so much jewelry. This is just the way to call them. Always put something behind the object.

The last work, book, film, city that has moved me was...
“Faraway, so close!” by Wim Wenders. A wonderful movie!

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
Depends of my mood. My favorite country that always inspires me is Portugal, mostly Lisbon, the whole city is like a piece of jewelery, but something what is really beautiful is the mountain in spring, you can see the nature waking up, there's no better artist than the nature!

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
OS Gemeos, Amenun Geneva, Blu

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
Every new piece, which I decide worthy to show to the people, is my favourite. Now, in the earrings “Ecology” is the first time I'm using glass.

Do you read Jewellery Magazines? What is your source to get information?
I prefer not to be so “informed”, while visiting some jewelry exhibitions. I mostly read some magazines for tools and materials.

Do you discuss your work with other jewelry artists or any other person?
No.

What is your first thought when you hear the word Future? What do you expect for?
Something interesting is going to happen! Adventure, laughter ...
Appreciate APPRECIATE