Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Johanna Törnqvist

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 01.06.2012
Interview with Johanna Törnqvist.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I prefer exposing my work in connection with modern techniques as photograph or film which make a good contrast to the slow handmade techniques I use. I think jewelry is only interesting in connection with the wearer and I want my jewelry to reveal questions about the origin and identity of the wearer.

Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work? 
Transience and recycling is what interests me. Traditional craft from all over the world has always inspired me. I find the resemblance of craft from different parts of the world very interesting. Craft from the sami people in the north of Sweden can resemble craft from countries in Africa or Asia, regardless the distance. I want my work to radiate the feeling of not knowing from which part of the world the jewelry or garment comes from, a kind of international and contemporary folklore. 

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)? 
I prefer exposing my work in connection with modern techniques as photograph or film which make a good contrast to the slow handmade techniques I use. I think jewelry is only interesting in connection with the wearer and I want my jewelry to reveal questions about the origin and identity of the wearer.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work? 
My aim is to make jewelry that questions our preconceived thoughts of age, ethnicity and gender.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was... 
Hiroshima mon amour by Marguerite Duras.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me... 
The subconscious.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot? 
Artists without any name all over the world that make traditional craft.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction? 
Well, I don´t know what to answer to that question... Objects do not give me satisfaction, but the process of making them does.

Appreciate APPRECIATE