Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Vicky Saragouda

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 30.09.2013
Interview with Vicky Saragouda.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I think that certain section of jewellery which can be identified as high street jewellery made in huge quantities can maybe standardized but when we refer to hand crafted jewellery either contemporary, traditional or fashion then I do not think this term applies.
Do you think that jewellery is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
I think that certain section of jewellery which can be identified as high street jewellery made in huge quantities can maybe standardized but when we refer to hand crafted jewellery either contemporary, traditional or fashion then I do not think this term applies. Every designer/craftsman can interpret and process differently materials, techniques and even concept. I think the possibilities are endless.
In my practice I explore the concepts of sustainability, upcycling and ethical making process. I strive to use materials as local to me as possible and my jewellery is made employing traditional, time-honoured techniques.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
The relationship jewellery/wearer is a very important aspect in my practice. I love when visitors approach me in an exhibition and ask me about my work but the best part is when I see my artefact worn. I am always curious to see how the wearer would bring on her own personality and suggest new ways of styling.

Are other areas besides the jewellery, present in your work?
I use an array of techniques in my work including traditional leatherworking and textile crafting techniques. Sometimes painting and mixed media are also involved. I particularly enjoy employing different techniques and materials within my practice.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was...
I love Italian movies like “Cinema Paradiso” and “Bicycle Thieves”. I find the visuals are really exceptional and the narrativity simply powerful. I recently read Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers by Leonard Koren. It is about “beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete”. A good read.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me...
I live in London and I feel that there is always something new in the air. There are new exhibitions, design and art installations to explore, a plethora of museums and galleries and a vibrant music scene. I seriously have to find time to keep up with everything.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
I draw influences from fine artists, fashion designers, contemporary jewellers, traditional craftsmen. Throughout the year I visit many exhibitions and art fairs where I can get inspiration. There are too many artists to mention instead I prefer to say that I go often to the Victoria & Albert Museum, The National Portrait Gallery and the Design Museum to get inspired from amazing artists and exquisite collections.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
Nearly every piece I have made but mostly because it is the outcome of hard work. However I have to admit that I was really happy with my latest products where there is a significant transition; from upcycled cloth to recycled metal. It was a long process involving extensive research and many hours of labour. I still have to get the photos of these.
Vicky Saragouda. Brooch: Ruffled Grès, 2013. Recycled bronze, sterling silver. 9.5 x 9.5 cm. Work in Progress. Vicky Saragouda
Brooch: Ruffled Grès, 2013
Recycled bronze, sterling silver
9.5 x 9.5 cm
Work in Progress
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE