Back
Open Call Preziosa Young 2017 skyscraper.

Interview with Yoshie Enda

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 10.12.2013
Interview with Yoshie Enda.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
My material choice of flowers, their subtle and peaceful beauty, and the somewhat futuristic forms that I create represent my local connection although I currently live and work in New York city. In terms of universal aspect, I strive to be a professional by balancing both artistic innovation and skilled aesthetics.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
In my view, jewelry has no overriding standard, especially in the contemporary jewelry field. Each artist has a particular character and creativity which directly influences his or her work. As every human being is unique, one’s expressive work should also be unique. Jewelry has also become more variable in terms of visual forms and concepts with the emergence of new materials and technologies. Some may remain traditional, others may shift to a new style, and still others may mix the old and new. My work is influenced by my background, Japanese culture. My material choice of flowers, their subtle and peaceful beauty, and the somewhat futuristic forms that I create represent my local connection although I currently live and work in New York city. In terms of universal aspect, I strive to be a professional by balancing both artistic innovation and skilled aesthetics.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
The visual aesthetic comes first. I would like for the public to be intrigued by my jewelry through its craftsmanships, forms, and colors. I would then appreciate if my concept were to leave a strong impression and if the vision of my work were to stay in their minds for a long period of time.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I make body sculptures to explore the potential of adorning the body. I believe ornamentation is a non-verbal communicational tool to stimulate both the wearer and the viewer’s visual and psychological experience and call attention to the private and public visual human interaction in society. To investigate this viewpoint, my extended body sculpture focus on the awareness of the physicality of the objects on the body, its influence on the wearer’s behavior and posture, and on the viewer’s perception of beauty through the wearer’s gestures.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was…
Book The Alchemist : Paulo Coehlo
Comic book Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind : Hayayo Miyazaki

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me…
Living in New York city is like living on a small planet. Its cultural diversity and energetic mood inspire my motivation.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Designer Alexander McQueen, Alexander Wang,
Jeweller Bettina Speckner, Melanie Bilenker,
Artist Matthew Barney, Ann Hamilton, Wolfgang Laib, Jean Giraud

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
It would be my recent series of REFLORA, especially red liner resin brooch.
Yoshie Enda. Brooch: REFLORA, 2013. Hibiscus, Resin, Silver. 4 x 6.8 x 1.4 cm. Yoshie Enda
Brooch: REFLORA, 2013
Hibiscus, Resin, Silver
4 x 6.8 x 1.4 cm
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.
Appreciate APPRECIATE