Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Interview with Yuni Kim Lang

Interview  /  Artists
Published: 22.01.2014
Interview with Yuni Kim Lang.
Author:
Klimt02
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona

Intro
I can’t say which piece gave me the most satisfaction but I can say that when I create something and it ends up being more than what I imagined in to be in the first place… that’s the most amazing feeling. I am most satisfied when the work gives me surprises in return. The work should never look exactly like what you initially envisioned.
Do you think that jewelry is being standardized? What is there of local and universal in your artistic work?
Commercial jewelry and traditional jewelry, yes. Contemporary Jewelry, no. The contemporary jewelry like the contemporary art world is constantly evolving and changing, and artists are pushing the boundaries of jewelry and what it essentially means.

My work is about my cultural identity and about being authentic in my expression. I think that’s something everyone can relate to. Identity crisis is a universal thing that is also eternally be with us.

What do you expect when exposing your work to the public (for example with an exhibition)?
I am most interested in the emotional and physical experience of any work.

Are other areas besides the jewelry, present in your work?
I am interested in jewelry as a sculpture on the body. It’s an art object installed on the body to activate the body. I don’t think of it as a piece of jewelry that adorns the body.

The last work, book, film, that has moved me was…
The most recent activity that I’ve done (which is not a book or a film) really moved me physically. I was on a vacation with my family and had a chance to go zip lining. It was the most amazing feeling to be in the perspective of a bird to fly through an open space between mountains.

That literally inspired me to physically think in different perspectives.

A place, space, country whose creativity surprises me…
My heart is in New York City. It has to be on of the greatest city in the world. Not only is it best place for food but it is so rich in culture and diversity. City full of inspiration and energy.

Is there any designer, jeweller, artist, you appreciate a lot?
Too many, but to name a few… Anne Wilson, Ann Hamilton, Doris Salcedo, Wolfgang Laib, Do-Ho Suh, Alexander McQueen.

What piece or work has given you the most satisfaction?
I can’t say which piece gave me the most satisfaction but I can say that when I create something and it ends up being more than what I imagined in to be in the first place… that’s the most amazing feeling.

I am most satisfied when the work gives me surprises in return. The work should never look exactly like what you initially envisioned.
Appreciate APPRECIATE