Back
CC Proof COPYRIGHT PROTECTION Skyscraper.

Hsinyu Candy Chu. Academy of Art University. Selected Graduate 2016

Article  /  ArtistsGraduate 2016
Published: 06.06.2016
Hsinyu Candy Chu Hsinyu Candy Chu
Author:
Academy of Art University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Candy’s commitment to her thesis project not only shows exemplary technique and choice of support mediums, mature decision making, and a deep understanding of concept and philosophy, but also an ability to discard clichés as well as a disdain for simplistic, linear thinking, / Charlene Modena, Director, School of Jewelry and Metal Arts

Academy of Art University, San Francisco, Untited States

Hsinyu Candy Chu - Light / Shadow

"Growing up, my father immersed me in the ancient Chinese concepts of Yi-Ching (or The Book of Changes). He analyzes its classical theories and applies it in Fung Shui. He emphasizes the five natural elements (wood, fire, earth, gold, water) as he adjusts differences in magnetic fields to achieve balance and harmony.  

Having been exposed to such ideas, I am becoming increasingly interested in the idea of complementarity, of Yin-Yang. I believe that opposites are important as they help us to both see and allow us balance. The same is true of human moods; we can’t conceive happiness without sadness, and vice versa. Also, one emotion can bleed into the next and transform seamlessly. For instance, we understand and see light precisely because darkness also exists. In life, we are led to seek harmony among a series of opposing forces.
Interconnectivity of the universe and all beings can be representative of the Yin and Yang theory. If the symbol can be interpreted as the universe then all that is within the universe has both light and shadow sides. Light and shadow are two different energies that represent the diversity of elements. They are opposites, but also complements. Light overtakes shadow and shadow can overtake light. In other words, we can find light within shadow and shadow within light. We cannot separate them. The two different energies maintain balance and harmony.

In order to reflect this concept in my graduate thesis, I strive to design jewelry that conveys light and shadow as opposites and as complementary forces also to explore cycles, movement and balance. I design my jewelry as pairs and represented as binaries. My goal is to create experimental and elaborate wearable forms that move beyond the more typical earrings, necklace and bracelets. My pieces exemplify organic forms but are also composed of geometric, repetitive shapes. The circular shapes and repetitive domes symbolize cycles, union and the complementarity of the two elements. I have also incorporated other techniques in my recent work such as Suminagashi, a Japanese paper marbling technique, which involves floating color inks on the surface of water and resulting in circular rings and patterns. When I first discovered Suminagashi I was amazed and intrigued by the marbled patterns and the washed out effects on paper. Consequently I chose to use this technique with paper-thin porcelain. The intricate swirling patterns and circular rings symbolize cycles and the constant impact of one object upon another.  Within these pieces there is no sense of opposites or imbalance. As part of my concept and process I also affixed a LED light behind a diffuser. The light that travels through the translucent porcelain emphasizes the contrast between the black and white pigments."

Short Statement by Charlene Modena, Director, School of Jewelry and Metal Arts
I must admit that whenever I attempt to comprehend the ancient Chinese philosophy of YinYang(dark/bright) as well as its applications to Feng-Shui, I am content to simply grasp only the most basic understanding. Although commonly described as seemingly contrary forces, opposing yet complementary, and an underlying aspect of an interdependent natural world, it is clearly much more complex. 

As the child of a renowned Taiwanese Feng-Shui consultant, Candy experiences this philosophy on a cellular level. Selecting YinYang as the core concept  for her MFA thesis, she has not only created a stunningly beautiful, and technically astute body of work, but has shown me and anyone else who views her work the enormous gap between the trendy pop culture view of YinYang and Feng Shui, to which most of us have been exposed, and the profound understanding she carries with her.

Candy’s commitment to her thesis project not only shows exemplary technique and choice of support mediums, mature decision making, and a deep understanding of concept and philosophy, but also an ability to discard clichés as well as a disdain for simplistic, linear thinking,

Poignantly, through her mature artistic self, her family life and heritage, she personifies a wider framework for the basic YinYang truth that “one cannot exist without the other.”

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Academy of Art University

Hsinyu Candy Chu. Necklace: Balance 2 & 3, 2016. Sterling silver, enamel, copper, porcelain, plastic, rubber cord, Arduino Gemma, Neopixel LED. Photo by: Alex Justimbaste. Hsinyu Candy Chu
Necklace: Balance 2 & 3, 2016
Sterling silver, enamel, copper, porcelain, plastic, rubber cord, Arduino Gemma, Neopixel LED
Photo by: Alex Justimbaste
Hsinyu Candy Chu. Brooch: Inside Out, 2015. Copper, silver, 14kt gold, cubic zirconia, smokey quartz, spinel. Photo by: Alex Justimbaste. Hsinyu Candy Chu
Brooch: Inside Out, 2015
Copper, silver, 14kt gold, cubic zirconia, smokey quartz, spinel
Hsinyu Candy Chu. Brooch: Transition, 2016. Sterling silver, enamel. Photo by: Alex Justimbaste. Hsinyu Candy Chu
Brooch: Transition, 2016
Sterling silver, enamel
Hsinyu Candy Chu. Brooch: Black & White, 2016. Sterling silver, enamel. Photo by: Alex Justimbaste. Hsinyu Candy Chu
Brooch: Black & White, 2016
Sterling silver, enamel
Hsinyu Candy Chu. Object: Shatter, 2014. Bronze, copper, silver plating. Photo by: Hsinyu Candy Chu. Hsinyu Candy Chu
Object: Shatter, 2014
Bronze, copper, silver plating
Photo by: Hsinyu Candy Chu
Appreciate APPRECIATE