Back

Jenny Jansson. HDK-Valand Academy of Art and Design. New Talent Award Nominee 2021

Article  /  NewTalentsByKlimt02   Artists
Published: 02.12.2021
Jenny Jansson Jenny Jansson
Author:
HDK-Valand Academy of Art and Design
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The enormous hope to project happiness in Jenny’s jewellery is expressed through the large scale of her brooches, and yet a thin plate of gold covers the silver surface and the dark shades suggest the fragile interior under the surface.
/
Klara Brynge
Name of graduation student: Jenny Jansson
Name of guiding teachers: Klara Brynge

Nominated by HDK-Valand Academy of Art and Design, Sweden

In Jenny Jansson's BA exam project entitled ‘My Perfect Life’ she has investigated the impossible obsession of our times towards creating happy façades that bejewel our everyday life—especially in the social media. She interrogates: ‘Could it really be that it is more important to look happy, than to be happy?’

Jewellery is a tool to create images of the desired self-representation that uplifts the appearance of the wearer, which sometimes may not be aligned with how the person really feels inside. The enormous hope to project happiness in Jenny’s jewellery is expressed through the large scale of her brooches, and yet a thin plate of gold covers the silver surface and the dark shades suggest the fragile interior under the surface.

Through her BA education, Jenny has thoroughly developed her silversmithing skills as well as theoretical research that support her ideas. Jenny has successfully transformed these to manifest jewellery pieces. We proudly suggest Jenny Jansson for our nomination for the New Talent.

/ Klara Brynge

Summary of the Bachelor graduation report: 
My Perfect Life - An investigation into the obsession of our times with portraying the perfect facade, through jewellery art.

Jenny Jansson’s graduation work has sought to investigate, through jewellery, with a process oriented working method, how the clash between a constructed façade of happiness meets real life with its real-life problems. A central question for the project has been, “could it really be that it is more important to look happy, than to be happy?”

The project has aimed to problematise the modern view of a surface deep happiness, that is perpetuated through popular culture and social media. A study of jewellery in a historic context has been included to create both reference and a bridge to connect the wearer and viewer to familiar jewellery iconography.

Material research has been at the forefront of the project. The choice of final materials and construction of the finished pieces have gone through a material investigative process. In the end the materials and their treatment, that were selected, were chosen due to their inherent ability to help tell the story. Precious and non-precious materials are connected in the jewellery pieces, silver meets plastic. Each brooch has gotten a unique surface treatment, such as gold plates or oxidized, a surface that will stay perfect only for a brief moment, when worn.

The choice of the brooch, enlarged in scale from its historical references, is made into an oval shape. The plastic dome is placed between layers of silver and encasing the smiley-symbol. The acrylic smiley-symbol is distorted in its representation, by how it is pushed up against the inside of the brooch. Upon closer examination of the brooches the title ‘My Perfect Life’ can be seen on the back of the pieces.

More work and contacts:
E-mail: gusjanjem@student.gu.se

Find out more about the courses at HDK-Valand Academy of Art and Design.
Brooches My Perfect Life by Jenny Jansson, 2021..
Brooches My Perfect Life by Jenny Jansson, 2021.

Jenny Jansson. Brooch: My Perfect Life, 2021. Silver, PS-plastic, mother of pearl acrylic, steel.. 12 x 10 x 4 cm. Photo by: Jenny Jansson. From series: My Perfect Life. Unique piece. Jenny Jansson
Brooch: My Perfect Life, 2021
Silver, PS-plastic, mother of pearl acrylic, steel.
12 x 10 x 4 cm
Photo by: Jenny Jansson
From series: My Perfect Life
Unique piece
Jenny Jansson. Brooch: My Perfect Life, 2021. Silver, PS-plastic, mother of pearl acrylic, steel.. 12 x 10 x 4 cm. Photo by: Jenny Jansson. From series: My Perfect Life. Alternative view.Unique piece. Jenny Jansson
Silver, PS-plastic, mother of pearl acrylic, steel.
12 x 10 x 4 cm

Alternative view.
Unique piece
Jenny Jansson. Brooch: My Perfect Life, 2021. Gold plated silver, PS-plastic, steel.. 12 x 10.5 x 4 cm. Photo by: Jenny Jansson. From series: My Perfect Life. Unique piece. Jenny Jansson
Gold plated silver, PS-plastic, steel.
12 x 10.5 x 4 cm
Unique piece
Jenny Jansson. Brooch: My Perfect Life, 2021. Oxidized silver, acrylic, PS-plastic, steel.. 12 x 10 x 4 cm. Photo by: Jenny Jansson. From series: My Perfect Life. Unique piece. Jenny Jansson
Oxidized silver, acrylic, PS-plastic, steel.
12 x 10 x 4 cm
Unique piece
Appreciate APPRECIATE