Back

Junxue Lan. Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology. New Talents Award Nominee 2023

Article  /  Artists   NewTalentsByKlimt02
Published: 05.01.2024
Junxue Lan Junxue Lan
Author:
Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 9th edition of the New Talents Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, one of the selected graduates will win the New Talents Award.

I wanted to showcase my rich life as a vagabond by displaying the objects I carry that hang on my body like jewelry, which is an affluence that defines my life as opposed to industrially produced objects. I am a vagabond, this is my jewelry.

Name of graduation student: Junxue Lan
Name of guiding teachers: Yi Zhao

Nominated by Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology

Junxue Lan's (BA) graduation work raises a question for us: 'Who else can wear jewelry in what way?'
Jewelry has had a class attribute since its inception, and contemporary jewelry attempts to break it and give people the freedom to wear jewelry. But it must be admitted that most of the time, jewelry is not necessarily related to our lives, especially to homeless people. Junxue Lan turned this impossible into possible through design. The entire set of works is full of poetry and humor, making people laugh but bring tear. Her works have a strong subjective beauty, full of kindness, and broaden the relationship between the jewelry itself and wearing behavior.

/ Yi Zhao. Professor of Jewellery Design

Summary of the thesis and artistic statement: 
A study of tramp identity in contemporary jewellery design

Starting from my own yearning for vagabond life, the author explores the aesthetic and artistic value of the vagabond in contemporary jewellery. The image of hobo first appeared in the beginning of modern art impressionism, Manet's ‘absinthe drinker’ in the hobo as the main image of the painting broke the traditional painting of the upper class image as the main body. In the film art, the image of hobo has become a three-dimensional artistic image full of human feelings under the moulding of Chaplin. The photographic work HIGH FASHION explores the mobility and hybridity of identity through the behaviour of Tokyo office workers who get drunk at night and act like hobos.

The hobo's own artistic behaviour also serves as a reference for the artistic language of the jewellery, with Depression-era hobo coins, hobo Tichý's homemade camera, and hobo Slavik picking up clothes and matching them randomly. They use readymade products, special materials unearthed during their wanderings, to customise their own individual objects. This coincides with the material language of contemporary art and contemporary jewellery.

The author extracts the objects used in his own wandering practice, and based on the real wandering needs, he carries and combines the objects in a hobo style.
I am very interested in the wandering life, where I can observe everything carefully, and as a wanderer, I am very interested in the unique texture of materials and the easy availability of materials in nature. As a vagabond they may not have jewelry in the traditional sense, but the items they carry are a symbol of their status. I wanted to showcase my rich life as a vagabond by displaying the objects I carry that hang on my body like jewelry, which is an affluence that defines my life as opposed to industrially produced objects. I am a vagabond, this is my jewelry.

Mail: 19539744010@163.com

Find out more about Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology
Junxue Lan. Necklace: Steel Storage Room. Small Study Room, 2023. 925 silver, Dong cloth, bark, steamer cloth,  lacquer, white copper. 60 x 17 x 0.1 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Necklace: Steel Storage Room. Small Study Room, 2023
925 silver, Dong cloth, bark, steamer cloth,  lacquer, white copper
60 x 17 x 0.1 cm
Photo by: Chen Meng
From series: Everybody is a bum
Junxue Lan. Earrings: Notepad, 2023. 925 silver,  lacquer, steamer cloth, bark. 4.5 x 6 x 0.1 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Earrings: Notepad, 2023
925 silver,  lacquer, steamer cloth, bark
4.5 x 6 x 0.1 cm
Junxue Lan. Ring: Flower World Charming Eyes, 2023. 925 silver, bark, lacquer, flower pot, plant. 20 x 7.5 x 5 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Ring: Flower World Charming Eyes, 2023
925 silver, bark, lacquer, flower pot, plant
20 x 7.5 x 5 cm
Junxue Lan. Ring: Firewood Stepping Stones, 2023. Tree branches, 925 silver, lacquer, stones, cotton thread. 5 x 2 x 4 cm and 3 x 1.5 x 4 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Ring: Firewood Stepping Stones, 2023
Tree branches, 925 silver, lacquer, stones, cotton thread
5 x 2 x 4 cm and 3 x 1.5 x 4 cm

Estimated price: 479 €

Junxue Lan. Ring: Needle Thread Spool. Dressing Room, 2023. Birch, cypress, brass, needle, cotton thread. 6.5 x 9 x 3 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Ring: Needle Thread Spool. Dressing Room, 2023
Birch, cypress, brass, needle, cotton thread
6.5 x 9 x 3 cm

Junxue Lan. Ring: Wine Glass Mirror Massage. Parlor, 2023. Birch tree, 925 silver, white brass, screws. 13 x 5 x 5 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Ring: Wine Glass Mirror Massage. Parlor, 2023
Birch tree, 925 silver, white brass, screws
13 x 5 x 5 cm

Estimated price: 689 €

Junxue Lan. Object: Self-service Ashtrays Cigarette Extinguishers Lighter. Smoking Room, 2023. Birch tree, 925 silver, lighter and a small amount of cigarette ash. 10 x 7.5 x 0.4 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Object: Self-service Ashtrays Cigarette Extinguishers Lighter. Smoking Room, 2023
Birch tree, 925 silver, lighter and a small amount of cigarette ash
10 x 7.5 x 0.4 cm

Estimated price: 379 €

Junxue Lan. Necklace: Soap Pendant. Bathroom, 2023. Soap, natural sponge, 925 silver. 25 x 20 x 4 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Necklace: Soap Pendant. Bathroom, 2023
Soap, natural sponge, 925 silver
25 x 20 x 4 cm
Junxue Lan. Ring: Pliers Hammer Sugar Jar Tea Jar. Gym, 2023. Pliers, hammer, 925 silver, white copper, tea, sugar. 17 x 5 x 5 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Ring: Pliers Hammer Sugar Jar Tea Jar. Gym, 2023
Pliers, hammer, 925 silver, white copper, tea, sugar
17 x 5 x 5 cm
Junxue Lan. Ring: Dental Floss Forks. Scissors Back. Garden, 2023. Stainless steel, erhu tuning strings, white brass, brass, cotton thread. 18 x 6 x 4 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Ring: Dental Floss Forks. Scissors Back. Garden, 2023
Stainless steel, erhu tuning strings, white brass, brass, cotton thread
18 x 6 x 4 cm

Junxue Lan. Ring: Spoon Toothbrush. Washroom, 2023. Toothbrush, 925 silver, white copper, brass and cotton thread. 12 x 3.5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Chen Meng. From series: Everybody is a bum. Junxue Lan
Ring: Spoon Toothbrush. Washroom, 2023
Toothbrush, 925 silver, white copper, brass and cotton thread
12 x 3.5 x 2 cm

Estimated price: 579 €