Mara Balode Mara Balode
Author:
Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. Artesis Plantijn University College
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Memory and light…These two elements were key to Mara’s work throughout her master project. Her challenge was to find a way to let both wearer and viewer experience the wonder of a glimmering memory. Inspired by photographs made during treasured moments, the shape and colours of the pieces have been refined to become sometimes delicate, sometimes harsh. The result? Very light pieces, made from silk an aluminium, that contain a subtle play of light.
/ Dr. Tine De Ruysser
The mysterious ways in which the light reflects inside the pieces and on their silken surface triggers our memories for a fleeting moment. Then the light changes, and so does the mood of the piece… Could you feel it?
/ Dr. Tine De Ruysser

During my studies at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, I have engaged with two central subjects: light and memory. My primary research consists of exploration and the development of new materials through which I am creating three dimensional forms and identifying ways to portray my fascination: the subject of light. As an innately broad topic, I am focusing on three aspects – reflection, colour and time. In my work, I aim to ‘preserve’ light, with reflection and colour playing the role of the visual aspects and time as the performative.

My secondary theme is concerned with perception and how we are recalling events. I am exploring both voluntary and involuntary memory, moments of recollection being the central focus. Directed by the intellect and also influenced by mood and context, I look into how we are commonly remembering events as ‘snapshots’. I am also reflecting on how I am recalling memories of subtle significance, remembering the feeling of the wind or a scent in the air and exploring how they can be understood from a multitude of angles.

An important part of my working process is the use of drawing and photography as a way to preserve light’s poetic vocabulary. This informs each body of work, each collection symbolising many aspects that are linked with a particular memory. Combining three-dimensional aluminium forms with the newly found material of ‘composite silk’, I am depicting narratives driven by light, manipulating the natural phenomenon through these two materials.

“However remarkable it may seem, it remains a fact that we do not observe much more than the things we are already familiar with; it is very difficult to see something new, even if it stares us in the face.” - M.G.J. Minnaert

/ Mara Balode

More work and contacts:
Email: marabalode1@gmail.com
Instagram: @marabalode
Facebook: @marabalodejewellery
Phone number: +32(0)484638423

Name of graduation student: Mara Balode.
Name of the guiding teacher: Dr. Tine De Ruysser.

Find out more about the courses at Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. Artesis Plantijn University College.
Mara Balode. Brooch: Rays, 2020. Aluminum, silk, UV resin, mixed media.. Photo by: Mara Balode. From series: Sun & Set. Mara Balode
Brooch: Rays, 2020
Aluminum, silk, UV resin, mixed media.
Photo by: Mara Balode
From series: Sun & Set
Mara Balode. Brooch: Window, 2020. Aluminum, silk, UV resin, mixed media.. 6 x 3 x 1.5 cm; 7.5 x 4 x 2 cm. Photo by: Mara Balode. From series: Escape. Mara Balode
Brooch: Window, 2020
6 x 3 x 1.5 cm; 7.5 x 4 x 2 cm
From series: Escape
Mara Balode. Brooch: Ray 2, 2020. Aluminum, silk, UV resin, mixed media.. 12.6 x 3.4 x 1.6 cm. Photo by: Mara Balode. From series: Sun & Set. Mara Balode
Brooch: Ray 2, 2020
12.6 x 3.4 x 1.6 cm
Mara Balode. Brooch: Rock 2, 2020. Aluminum, silk, UV resin, mixed media.. 6.5 x 7.8 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Mara Balode. From series: Lochs & Rocks. Mara Balode
Brooch: Rock 2, 2020
6.5 x 7.8 x 3.5 cm
From series: Lochs & Rocks
Mara Balode. Brooch: Rocks, 2020. Aluminum, silk, UV resin, mixed media.. Photo by: Mara Balode. From series: Lochs & Rocks. Mara Balode
Brooch: Rocks, 2020
From series: Lochs & Rocks
Mara Balode. Necklace: River 1, 2020. Aluminium, silk, UV resin, mixed media.. 52 x 20 x 1.5 cm. From series: Sun & Set. Statement: Since studying at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Mara has engaged with two central subjects: light and memory. Her primary research contains exploration and the development of new materials. Through creating and refining three dimensional forms, she honed and recognised ways to portray her fascination; the subject of light. As an innately broad topic, she focuses on three aspects – reflection, colour, and time. In her work, she aims to ‘preserve’ light, with reflection and colour playing the role of the visual aspects and time as the performative.. Mara Balode
Necklace: River 1, 2020
Aluminium, silk, UV resin, mixed media.
52 x 20 x 1.5 cm
Statement: Since studying at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Mara has engaged with two central subjects: light and memory. Her primary research contains exploration and the development of new materials. Through creating and refining three dimensional forms, she honed and recognised ways to portray her fascination; the subject of light. As an innately broad topic, she focuses on three aspects – reflection, colour, and time. In her work, she aims to ‘preserve’ light, with reflection and colour playing the role of the visual aspects and time as the performative.
Appreciate APPRECIATE