Adesh Tolumbia Adesh Tolumbia
Author:
Sheffield Hallam University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Adesh Tolumbia. Necklace: Alokik, 2019. Silver, pomegranate peel, enamel paint.. 7.5 x 7 x 2 cm. Photo by: Adesh Tolumbia. From series: Trypophobia. The translation of the Hindi title: uncanny/ supernatural.
. My jewellery draws people's attention to something familiar yet unusually presented, provoking, an unnerving sensation in both the wearer and viewer.. Adesh Tolumbia
Necklace: Alokik, 2019
Silver, pomegranate peel, enamel paint.
7.5 x 7 x 2 cm
Photo by: Adesh Tolumbia
From series: Trypophobia
The translation of the Hindi title: uncanny/ supernatural.

My jewellery draws people's attention to something familiar yet unusually presented, provoking, an unnerving sensation in both the wearer and viewer.

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
As an artist, I usually find beauty in richly textured surfaces and have no natural perception of what it must be to be like to experience trypophobic anxiety. However, I think the work Adesh has created, has captured and holds a sense of unease and foreboding. This is especially strong when he puts his work into context through photography.
/ Alison Counsell
Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK.

Trypophobia

I am a jewellery maker from India, currently based in Sheffield. I have a keen interest in experimenting with everyday mundane objects and developing them into purposeful and thought provoking wearable art forms. Using traditional and modern techniques I aimed to showcase the bizarre and unexpected in my final year graduate collection. My experimentation has led me to use familiar food waste objects, but present them in an unusual and alien way.
Till the last century, there wasn’t a term like ‘Trypophobia’. This is the fear or aversion of a cluster of holes, irregular surfaces, textures, and patterns which are naturally formed. I have found these surface textures abhorrent all my life.

For me, this fear or feeling of discomfort and repulsion induced by these shapes and forms, indicates a fear of the unknown - a fear of an endless abyss. One way of facing up to my aversion, was to explore the idea, that these perforated structures can permit light to pass into them and reach even the darkest of places.
An apt quote for this reflection is offered by the famous singer-songwriter, Leonard Cohen,

“Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.”

I believe and hope my work may invoke the audience to experience some awareness of the trypophobic senses and feelings I experience.

Name of graduation student: Adesh Tolumbia.
Name of the guiding teacher: Alison Counsell.

More work and contact:
Email: adeshtolumbia28@gmail.com.
Instagram: adesh_tolumbia

Find out more about the courses at the Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK.

Adesh Tolumbia. Brooch: Anaar, 2019. Silver, pomegranate peel, enamel paint.. 6 x 4.5 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Adesh Tolumbia. From series: Trypophobia. The translation of the Hindi title: Fruit/ pomegranate.. Adesh Tolumbia
Brooch: Anaar, 2019
6 x 4.5 x 2.5 cm
The translation of the Hindi title: Fruit/ pomegranate.

Adesh Tolumbia. Necklace: Jaivik, 2019. Silver, brass.. 5.5 x 7 x 2 cm. Photo by: Adesh Tolumbia. From series: Trypophobia. The translation of the Hindi title: pure/ living thing.. Adesh Tolumbia
Necklace: Jaivik, 2019
Silver, brass.
5.5 x 7 x 2 cm
The translation of the Hindi title: pure/ living thing.

Adesh Tolumbia. Ring: Jantu, 2019. Silver. 4 x 4 x 3 cm. Photo by: Adesh Tolumbia. From series: Trypophobia. The translation of the Hindi title: creature/ life.. Adesh Tolumbia
Ring: Jantu, 2019
Silver
4 x 4 x 3 cm
The translation of the Hindi title: creature/ life.

Adesh Tolumbia. Brooch: Jod Tod, 2019. Silver, pomegranate peel, enamel paint.. 4.5 x 4.5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Adesh Tolumbia. From series: Trypophobia. The translation of the Hindi title: assemblage/ construct/ deconstruct.. Adesh Tolumbia
Brooch: Jod Tod, 2019
4.5 x 4.5 x 2 cm
The translation of the Hindi title: assemblage/ construct/ deconstruct.

Adesh Tolumbia. Piece: Sthir, 2019. Silver, pomegranate peel, enamel paint.. 7 x 3.5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Adesh Tolumbia. From series: Trypophobia. Necklace and brooch.
. The translation of the Hindi title: calm/ constant.. Adesh Tolumbia
Piece: Sthir, 2019
7 x 3.5 x 2 cm
Necklace and brooch.
The translation of the Hindi title: calm/ constant.

Appreciate APPRECIATE