Back

Aimee Mackay. K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery Ltd. New Talents Award Nominee 2023

Article  /  Artists   NewTalentsByKlimt02
Published: 15.12.2023
Aimee Mackay Aimee Mackay
Author:
K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery Ltd
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 9th edition of the New Talents Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, one of the selected graduates will win the New Talents Award.

There are a myriad of fascinating creatures on this planet and so many of them are struggling with the changing climate and loss of habitat. By exploring some of the less known wildlife I hope to show people some of the less obvious things we are at risk of losing.

Name of graduation student: Aimee Mackay
Name of guiding teachers: Katrin Spranger and Kelvin Birk

Nominated by K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery

Aimee Mackay successfully completed our SQA-accredited Level 4 Diploma course in July 2023. Her graduate collection 'Bagworm' not only showcases her intricate soldering skills applied in the construction of each piece, but also demonstrates her ability to transform environmental concerns into an aesthetically compelling narrative. Aimee's thoughtful and clever utilisation of recycled silver scrap from previous projects mirrors the bagworm caterpillar's resourceful construction of a protective 'case' from diverse organic materials post-hatching. This project emphasizes the critical role of art in raising awareness for delicate ecosystems. This recurring theme threads through Aimee’s jewellery practice, drawing inspiration from the extraordinary wildlife she passionately advocates for and seeks to protect.
/ Katrin Spranger and Kelvin Birk

The statement of the artist:
My work is inspired by plants and wildlife, particularly the unusual and overlooked. The ‘Bagworm’ collection is inspired by the bagworm moth, an intriguing creature in the family Psychidae. In its larval stage the caterpillar, once hatched starts to make itself a case that it carries around, acting as both protection and camouflage. These cases are made out of silk and environmental materials such as twigs, leaves, lichen or sand. The tiny shapes, soldered together to form the ‘Bagworm’ jewellery pieces, have been recycled from silver scrap and discarded pieces of past projects, represent the wide variety of organic materials collected by the caterpillar.
There are over 1300 species within this one family and before this project I had never come across them. With my research I became enthralled and inspired by their natural architectural skills and lifecycle. There are a myriad of fascinating creatures on this planet and so many of them are struggling with the changing climate and loss of habitat. By exploring some of the less known wildlife I hope to show people some of the less obvious things we are at risk of losing.

E-mail: aimeeleemackay@gmail.com
Instagram :@aimeeleemackay

Find out more about K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery

Aimee Mackay. Pendant: Bagworm IV & Bagworm I, 2023. Sterling silver and horsehair. 6 x 3 x 3 cm and 4 x 2 x 32 cm. Photo by: K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery Ltd. From series: Bagworm. Estimated price (for commission): Bagworm IV €350; Bagworm I €408. Aimee Mackay
Pendant: Bagworm IV & Bagworm I, 2023
Sterling silver and horsehair
6 x 3 x 3 cm and 4 x 2 x 32 cm
Photo by: K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery Ltd
From series: Bagworm
Estimated price (for commission): Bagworm IV €350; Bagworm I €408
Aimee Mackay. Earrings: Bagworm III, 2023. Sterling silver. 7 x 3 x 2 cm. Photo by: K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery Ltd. From series: Bagworm. Aimee Mackay
Earrings: Bagworm III, 2023
Sterling silver
7 x 3 x 2 cm

Estimated price: 525 €

Aimee Mackay. Ring: Bagworm II, 2023. Oxidised sterling silver. 4 x 3 x 2 cm. Photo by: K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery Ltd. From series: Bagworm. Aimee Mackay
Ring: Bagworm II, 2023
Oxidised sterling silver
4 x 3 x 2 cm

Estimated price: 640 €

Aimee Mackay. Ring: Bagworm II, 2023. Oxidised sterling silver. 4 x 3 x 2 cm. Photo by: K2 Academy of Contemporary Jewellery Ltd. From series: Bagworm. On body view. Aimee Mackay
Ring: Bagworm II, 2023
Oxidised sterling silver
4 x 3 x 2 cm

On body view

Estimated price: 640 €

Bagworm II and Bagworm III
. Photo by Charles Mackay.
Bagworm II and Bagworm III
Photo by Charles Mackay