Alpa Sheth Alpa Sheth
Author:
Academy of Art University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Alpa Sheth. Object: Quintessence, 2018. Mild steel.. 9.5 x 8.9 cm (left); 6.4 x 5.7 cm (middle); 10.2 x 11.4 cm (right). Photo by: Donald Felton. From series: Modern Alchemy. Alpa Sheth
Object: Quintessence, 2018
Mild steel.
9.5 x 8.9 cm (left); 6.4 x 5.7 cm (middle); 10.2 x 11.4 cm (right)
Photo by: Donald Felton
From series: Modern Alchemy
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Alpa’s thesis takes one on a journey infused with history and a distinctive artistic style. Her thesis is divided into a grouping of series with each expressing the potential not only in materials, but in meaningful, collective connections between the artist, choice of media, and the viewer. Each series opens a new window into the visual depth and cultural filter of the artist. Relentlessly, truthfully, and ultimately poetically, Alpa has created a body of work that brings one closer to understanding an individual artist who stands in the depths of the endlessly flowing river that is alchemy, transition, and transformation.
/Director of the department: Charlene Modena
Academy of Art University, San Francisco, United States.

Modern Alchemy

The process of alchemy was the inspiration for this thesis. There are many modes of alchemy; the two I have focused on are the chemical process of change of matter and the philosophical transmutation of the self. The chemical process deals with the change of base metals into gold or the elixir of life as practiced in ancient cultures and during the Renaissance. The philosophical process, practiced by 19th-century psychiatrists, such as Carl Jung, is associated with the internal transformation of the self. Being interested in the transformation of the physical as well as the metaphysical, each design became a personal alchemic journey of the materials, exploration of the processes and my aesthetics rooted in Eastern and Western cultures. This duality, in all aspects of my life, became the starting point for my creativity.

The making process started with conceptual understanding of alchemy. The various stages and colors of the chemical changes, the different jewelry techniques, and the inherent nature of the materials provided inspiration to design intuitively. The making process was a continually evolving dialogue with my emotional reaction, along with the materials’ altering state. Ideation leads me through a process of re-evaluation of the artistic self, gave me the means to distil out the chaos through analyzing, imagining, and discovering. This process of aesthetic and conceptual re-orientation was the goal of pursuing my master’s. The Jewelry and Metal Arts program at the Academy of Art University provided an appropriate starting point for me to develop a more distinctive artistic sensibility, strengthen my conceptual thinking, and build a flexible artistic career after years of working in commercial industries. With a blank slate, the focus was on learning new techniques and conceptual design through deliberate consideration. The project narratives are inspired by my Indian culture and refined by the aesthetics of an adopted Western culture. The outcome of my journey has been a metamorphosis of new technical skills and materials with multi-cultural inspiration to produce my confident, meaningful, and personal creative voice.

Name of graduation student: Alpa Sheth.
Name of the guiding teacher: Charlene Modena (Director, School of Jewelry & Metal Arts), Karen Chesna (Online Coordinator, School of Jewelry & Metal Arts), Alexis Pavlantos, Chrystal Sunshine, David Casella, David Sekoll, Diego Taccioli, Francesca MacKie, Gordon Silveria, Jonathan Russell, Killean Evans, Mark Hellar, Norm DeCarlo, Sydney Brown, Walter Dickhaut, Wendy McDermott.

More work and contact:
Email: alpasheth4@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses at the Academy of Art University, San Francisco, United States.
Alpa Sheth. Necklace: Transference, 2017. Aluminum, brass.. H: 50.8 cm. Photo by: Donald Felton. From series: Modern Alchemy. Alpa Sheth
Necklace: Transference, 2017
Aluminum, brass.
H: 50.8 cm
Alpa Sheth. Object: Perception, 2017. Brass. 13.3 x 10.2 cm (left); 13.3 x 7 cm (right). Photo by: Donald Felton. From series: Modern Alchemy. Alpa Sheth
Object: Perception, 2017
Brass
13.3 x 10.2 cm (left); 13.3 x 7 cm (right)
Alpa Sheth. Necklace: Assimilation, 2016. Ceramic, mild steel wire, cotton rope.. 88.9 cm (left). Photo by: Alpa Sheth. From series: Modern Alchemy. Alpa Sheth
Necklace: Assimilation, 2016
Ceramic, mild steel wire, cotton rope.
88.9 cm (left)
Photo by: Alpa Sheth
Alpa Sheth. Necklace: Assimilation, 2016. Ceramic, mild steel wire, cotton rope.. 88.9 cm (left). Photo by: Alpa Sheth. From series: Modern Alchemy. Assimilation necklace on a maquette.. Alpa Sheth
Necklace: Assimilation, 2016
Ceramic, mild steel wire, cotton rope.
88.9 cm (left)

Assimilation necklace on a maquette.

Alpa Sheth. Necklace: Connected, 2016. Brass, wood.. 27.9 x 43.2 cm. Photo by: Donald Felton. From series: Modern Alchemy. Alpa Sheth
Necklace: Connected, 2016
Brass, wood.
27.9 x 43.2 cm
Alpa Sheth. Necklace: Perception, Plumbline, Unhinged, 2015. Ceramic, Textile. Photo by: Alpa Sheth. From series: Modern Alchemy. Alpa Sheth
Necklace: Perception, Plumbline, Unhinged, 2015
Ceramic, Textile
Appreciate APPRECIATE