Ana Pavez Ana Pavez
Author:
WE WALKA Escuela de Joyería
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Ana started her studies at WE WALKA Jewelry School as a part-time student 4 years ago (She see jewelry making as an important-serious-hobby in her life. She founded and directs a major publishing business: www.amanuta.cl During this time she has developed a mature visual language through a constant and careful process of researching about craft making as a vessel of culture and as a medium of communication in the ancestral cultures of the Andes Mountain Range Region. The series we are presenting to the award has been developed at her last year at the School (She graduated in December 2017). She has researched the meaning of textile with this ancestral context, how jewelry can define personal and social identity and how her pieces relate to the human body. She has reached to make haptic and sensitive pieces. Her interest in Textil as a “code” (specially in precolumbian Andean cultures) started very early in her life and got more profound while making a Master in Archeology at Yale University. Then back in Chile all her knowledge and questions are transformed in a very conscious and sensitive making process. She does not run or get stress out… She takes the time to listen to the materials, questions, shapes, textures and colors, infusing the materials with her energy, visions and decisions.
/ WE WALKA Jewelry School
WE WALKA Escuela de Joyería, Vitacura, Chile.

Manta 2018 collection
In the Andean pre-Columbian cultures, textiles were invented much earlier than ceramics and metallurgy.  They played an important role in the civilization development and thereafter they were present for thousands of years.  The intense effort in collecting and processing materials, the broad exploration of techniques and the amount of energy dedicated to innovation and design show an entire society dedicated to the textile production.  Remains of objects made with vegetable fibers which are more than 10,000 years old, have been found in Los Andes.

For many years pre-Columbian textiles have been a source of inspiration in my creative work.  The technical skill of textiles, the use of the materials, the beauty of the artistic expressions as well as the meaning of textiles for the ancient Andean inhabitants, have been a permanent reference in my work.  For many years I have used textile 
fibers such as linen, camelids’ wool, silk, cotton together with pre-Columbian textile techniques to develop modern textile expressions, the majority of them in two-dimensional bases.

The search for three dimensions in textile art and its connection with the body led me to study 
jewelry.  Experimenting with silver, many times mixed with textiles has given form to different objects related to the body.  “I spin” with silver rods as if they were textile fibers, shaping them with the hands, twisting them, rolling them up, changing their shapes, etc. until achieving visual designs that are in harmony with the body.

Treating silver as if it were a textile 
fiber has enabled me to experience forms, textures and volumes that together with inspiration in nature, have given rise to the Manta collection.  Manta rays’ eggs collected in the beaches of Chile have been the starting point for the creation of these pieces.  These eggs inflate and deflate forming organic objects that have been my inspiration source.  Silver forge has been the technique to give this material a new face, where each piece is created from blows and modeling on the silver until the material is transformed as if it were a different one as if it were a textile material.  The pleats, volume, inflation, deflation and texture have formed pieces that connect to the body and give a feeling of materiality that is different from their own, being mainly necklaces and rings.  This experimentation is a search to achieve three-dimensional objects that can be worn on the body and that are manufactured in silver but do not seem to be silver.

In this way, I connect myself with our ancestors by recovering the importance of textile beauty in our lives.  By watching and looking at everything that surrounds us from a textile point of view, dedicating time and energy to the production of textile objects, the production of portable objects connected to the body that appear to be clothes or threads as any textile fiber and the constant effort to achieve beautiful and harmonious objects that look like textiles.

/ Ana Pavez

More work and contacts:
Email: anapavez@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses at WE WALKA School of Jewellery.

Ana Pavez. Necklace: Manta 1, 2018. Oxidized silver, gold, linen.. 9 x 5 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Damián Wasser. Ana Pavez
Necklace: Manta 1, 2018
Oxidized silver, gold, linen.
9 x 5 x 2.5 cm
Photo by: Damián Wasser
Ana Pavez. Necklace: Manta 2, 2018. Silver, gold, silk.. 7 x 7 x 3 cm. Photo by: Patricia Novoa. Ana Pavez
Necklace: Manta 2, 2018
Silver, gold, silk.
7 x 7 x 3 cm
Photo by: Patricia Novoa
Ana Pavez. Necklace: Manta 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 2018. Silver, oxidized silver, gold, silk.. Photo by: Patricia Novoa. Ana Pavez
Necklace: Manta 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 2018
Silver, oxidized silver, gold, silk.
Ana Pavez. Necklace: Manta 4, 2018. Silver, gold, silk.. 13 x 4 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Patricia Novoa. Ana Pavez
Necklace: Manta 4, 2018
Silver, gold, silk.
13 x 4 x 2.5 cm
Anna Pavez. Necklace: Desde lo profundo, 2017. Silver, Gold 18k, linnen. Photo by: Pilar Castro-Matanga Estudio. Anna Pavez
Necklace: Desde lo profundo, 2017
Silver, Gold 18k, linnen
Photo by: Pilar Castro-Matanga Estudio
Ana Pavez. Necklace: Earth 1, 2017. Oxidized silver, alpaca, wool.. 15 x 9 x 6 cm. Photo by: Patricia Novoa. Ana Pavez
Necklace: Earth 1, 2017
Oxidized silver, alpaca, wool.
15 x 9 x 6 cm
Ana Pavez. Necklace: Earth II, 2017. Oxidized silver, alpaca, wool.. 17 x 9 x 6 cm. Photo by: Patricia Novoa. Ana Pavez
Necklace: Earth II, 2017
Oxidized silver, alpaca, wool.
17 x 9 x 6 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE