Back
Joya Barcelona Fair 2018 skyscraper.
Goldschmitte 2018 skyscraper.

Andrei Jakab. Sheffield Hallam University, BA Jewellery and Metalwork. Selected Graduate 2018

Published: 13.08.2018
Andrei Jakab Andrei Jakab
Author:
Sheffield Hallam University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Andrei Jakab’s ‘Element of Surprise’ collection is the ultimate in anticipatory jewellery. The touch, the weight, the sound and the fragile suggestion of the pieces tempt and seduce the hedonistic senses of the wearer……..what if?
/ Alison Counsell, Senior Lecturer B.A.(Hons) Jewellery and Metalwork.

Sheffield Hallam University, B.A.(Hons) Jewellery & Metalwork, Sheffield, United Kingdom.

Many people take great comfort in discovering hidden treasures encased within pouches and containers.
As a
child I always enjoyed opening presents or buying Kinder eggs, finding great joy and excitement on what toy awaits on the inside. This is something I still do as an adult, the only aspect that changed is that I purchase Kinder eggs and mystery bags purely for the feeling of excitement and anticipation rather than focusing on the actual content. The feeling of surprise is what has driven me to make this collection as a way to contain and wear these objects. My collection “Element of Surprise” represents a set of curated mysteries that act as talismans of self-control.

Through my
work I used the timeless nature of porcelain and combined it with the tempting aspect of inflated foil pouches, each containing a hidden object. Through making moulds of inflated bags and casting them in porcelain, I was able to capture and replicate dynamic creases that create the illusion of an air expanded volume.

The idea of container necklaces is to act as the temptation to the wearer due to the suggestive shapes reminiscent of inflated bags. The intention was to make the owner think twice before intervening on the piece. My pieces provoke to reconsider the value of the feeling of reward, which resides in the split second of opening the packaging and thus solving the mystery.

As a wearer with the knowledge of a reward being contained in my necklaces, is the feeling of instant gratification worth more than the regret of opening the foil and ultimately destroying the organics of the piece?

/ Andrei Jakab

More works and contacts:
Instagram: and.jak
Email: intunegru@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Sheffield Hallam University.

Andrei Jakab. Necklace: Untitled, 2018. Faux leather, porcelain, silver, silicone, golden foil with hidden object.. 43 x 9 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Andrei Jakab. On body.. Andrei Jakab
Necklace: Untitled, 2018
Faux leather, porcelain, silver, silicone, golden foil with hidden object.
43 x 9 x 3.5 cm
Photo by: Andrei Jakab

On body.

Andrei Jakab. Necklace: Untitled, 2018. Faux leather, porcelain, silver, silicone, golden foil with hidden object.. 43 x 9 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Andrei Jakab. Andrei Jakab
Faux leather, porcelain, silver, silicone, golden foil with hidden object.
43 x 9 x 3.5 cm
Andrei Jakab. Necklace: Untitled, 2018. Leather, black porcelain, silver, silicone, silver foil with hidden object.. 43 x 9 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Andrei Jakab. Andrei Jakab
Leather, black porcelain, silver, silicone, silver foil with hidden object.
43 x 9 x 3.5 cm
Andrei Jakab. Necklace: Untitled, 2018. Faux leather, porcelain,  silver, silicone, silver foil with hidden object.. 43 x 9 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Andrei Jakab. Andrei Jakab
Faux leather, porcelain,  silver, silicone, silver foil with hidden object.
43 x 9 x 3.5 cm
Andrei Jakab. Necklace: Untitled, 2018. PVC fabric with spray paint, silver, silicone, pink foil with hidden object.. 43 x 9 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Andrei Jakab. Andrei Jakab
PVC fabric with spray paint, silver, silicone, pink foil with hidden object.
43 x 9 x 3.5 cm
Andrei Jakab. Brooch: Untitled, 2018. Porcelain, silver, silicone, golden foil, plastic pellets.. 12 x 12 x 4 cm. Photo by: Andrei Jakab. Andrei Jakab
Brooch: Untitled, 2018
Porcelain, silver, silicone, golden foil, plastic pellets.
12 x 12 x 4 cm
Andrei Jakab. Brooch: Untitled, 2018. Porcelain, glaze, silver, silicone.. 8 x 5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Andrei Jakab. Andrei Jakab
Brooch: Untitled, 2018
Porcelain, glaze, silver, silicone.
8 x 5 x 2 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE