Back

Chien-Yu Liu. School of Jewellery. Birmingham City University. Selected Graduate 2019

Published: 26.10.2019
Chien-Yu Liu Chien-Yu Liu
Author:
School of Jewellery. Birmingham City University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Chien-Yu Liu. Brooch: Evaporation, 2019. Aluminium, sterling silver.. 6 x 3.8 x 3.3 cm. Photo by: Chien-Yu Liu. From series: Breathe. Chien-Yu Liu
Brooch: Evaporation, 2019
Aluminium, sterling silver.
6 x 3.8 x 3.3 cm
Photo by: Chien-Yu Liu
From series: Breathe
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The development of Chien-Yu’s practice has followed the arc of her recovery from a period of loss, after suffering a series of bereavements.  On arrival at the School of Jewellery, she ensconced herself in the school’s basement and began a series of experiments in forging and forming a range of metals.  The physically gruelling hammer work was – initially – brutal, draining and numbing, capturing broken forms and shattered metal.  Aluminium forms recorded the hammer strikes and documented Chien-Yu’s eventual healing as the raw cleavages of early work gave way to the refined forms of the final collection.  The work as a whole is an interrogation of absence and presence: tools, materials, adornments and narrative are pressed into service to examine how loss can be folded into our sense of self to make us who we are.
/ Sian Hindle. Course Leader, MA Jewellery and Related Products
School of Jewellery. Birmingham City University, Birmingham, United Kingdom.

My practice-based research can be considered as a continual therapeutic act in grieving. It is evoked intuitively from my experience of personal loss and the traumas of bereavements and the disorientation of identity. I am interested in responding to ephemerality with innovative ways of metalworking as the personal healing processes in the context of the background study in psychology and sociology. Aluminium is the main medium used in my practice due to its uncertain property. I wore myself out forging aluminium bones, but this made me realise the limits of my body and the impossibility of holding on to the past.  Now my practice has evolved into the meditative discourses in hammering.  

I started by combining the meditation with hammering, in the work, Begin to Cherish, to reprogram my negative thoughts into positiveness. I felt calm and secured after each period of making, and started to treat the material more carefully than before. It made me question if the process of meditating in hammering is talismanic, making the present moment of crafting more precious. Recently, I have put some of my non-functional hammering works in the public arena for others to interact with, and after discovering the works were found and picked up by strangers, I felt comforted by their responses. This is leading me to ask if the loss of favoured objects can be reinterpreted if they are cherished and loved by others?

Name of graduation student: Chien-Yu Liu.
Name of the guiding teacher: Sian Hindle.

More work and contact:
Email: veraelileg@gmail.com.
Instagram: veraelileg.

Find out more about the courses at the School of Jewellery. Birmingham City University, Birmingham, United Kingdom.
Chien-Yu Liu. Necklace: One Moment to Another, 2019. Aluminium, conductive threads.. 1.2 x 0.8 x 70 cm. Photo by: Chien-Yu Liu. From series: Breathe. Chien-Yu Liu
Necklace: One Moment to Another, 2019
Aluminium, conductive threads.
1.2 x 0.8 x 70 cm
Chien-Yu Liu. Brooch: Quiet, 2019. Aluminium, sterling silver.. 6.5 x 1.2 x 1 cm. Photo by: Chien-Yu Liu. From series: Breathe. Chien-Yu Liu
Brooch: Quiet, 2019
6.5 x 1.2 x 1 cm
Chien-Yu Liu. Brooch: Material Wrinkled, 2019. Aluminium, sterling silver.. 7.6 x 6.7 x 1.5 cm. Photo by: Chien-Yu Liu. From series: Breathe. Chien-Yu Liu
Brooch: Material Wrinkled, 2019
7.6 x 6.7 x 1.5 cm
Chien-Yu Liu. Sculpture: Broken Bone #1, 2019. Aluminium. 5.4 x 2.9 x 2.9 cm, 7.7 x 2.9 x 2.9 cm. Photo by: Chien-Yu Liu. From series: Fall into Void. Chien-Yu Liu
Sculpture: Broken Bone #1, 2019
Aluminium
5.4 x 2.9 x 2.9 cm, 7.7 x 2.9 x 2.9 cm
From series: Fall into Void
Appreciate APPRECIATE