Back

Cornelia van der Merwe. Universiteit Stellenbosch University. New Talent Award Nominee 2022

Article  /  NewTalentsByKlimt02   Artists
Published: 30.09.2022
Cornelia van der Merwe Cornelia van der Merwe
Author:
Universiteit Stellenbosch University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 8th edition of the New Talent Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, in total two graduates will win the New Talent Award and New Talent Audience Award. 
Name of graduation student: Cornelia van der Merwe
Name of guiding teachers: Carine Terreblanche, Luché Oberholzer, Mariambibi Khan.

Nominated by Universiteit Stellenbosch University​.

Cornelia van der Merwe investigates the taboo surrounding eroticism and sensuality and how to bring this conversation to more public places through her series of jewellery pieces. She started her investigation of eroticism through analysis of the human body by looking at images of photographs and different art forms. She did very thorough research on the history of sexuality as well as the representation of the body, nudity, and eroticism throughout history in different art forms. Her ongoing aim is to search for a more personal definition of eroticism and to make jewellery that can be used as a tool for erotic expression and exploration. - Carine Terreblanche

Statement by the artist:
Eroticism is commonly defined as “an insistent sexual impulse or desire”. I find this definition to be lacking in many regards. This generalisation of the erotic into a purely sexual state is what I will be aiming to uncover through the exploration of shapes and visual imagery that viewers, including myself, find erotically evocative. These jewellery pieces, created in 2021, were all based on this topic. I attempt to engage the viewer by starting a conversation about the stigma surrounding eroticism through creating art that mimics the human body, offers a somatic experience, and symbolises erotic themes such as kink/fetish. The human body is the space that we inhabit most intimately for the entirety of our lives. The sensual contours, folds and crevices found on the body are undeniably human and often irresistibly erotic. My practical work is visually inspired by these features of the body through the study of images, art and experience. Jewellery is both a personal and intimate object that is worn for adornment, which relates to objects found in kink settings. The collar neckpiece Self-control was created with this in mind. Many of these are not only defined by their function but their aestheticism relating to the fetish they are used for/in. The human body’s potential for tactile stimulation make jewellery an ideal medium for exploring and expressing the erotic. The topic of eroticism is interesting to me because of its exclusion from “polite society”, leading to the further exclusion of the subject from sexual education. Instances where pleasure forms a part of sexuality are hardly mentioned or discussed. By wearing jewellery inspired by the erotic, I am hoping to publicise eroticism in a way that starts conversations surrounding pleasure, consent, and fulfilment.

Email: cmvdmerwe14@gmail.com  
Instagram: @skan_daal

Find out more about Universiteit Stellenbosch University​
Cornelia van der  Merwe. Object: Eggrogeno us I and II, 2021. 3D printer filament,  magnets,  spray paint. . 10 x 15 x 5 cm. Serial number: 2/2. Photo by: Shan Grobler. From series: Skandaal. Magnetised objects.. Cornelia van der Merwe
Object: Eggrogeno us I and II, 2021
3D printer filament,  magnets,  spray paint. 
10 x 15 x 5 cm
Serial number: 2/2
Photo by: Shan Grobler
From series: Skandaal
Magnetised objects.
Cornelia van der Merwe. Necklace: Lover’s knots, 2021. Leather, ceramics.. 10 x 10 x 3 cm. Photo by: Shan Grobler. Cornelia van der Merwe
Necklace: Lover’s knots, 2021
Leather, ceramics.
10 x 10 x 3 cm
Cornelia van der Merwe. Brooch: Blue folds, 2021. Leather, sterling silver, thread, steel pin.. 10 x 4 x 1 cm. Photo by: Shan Grobler. Cornelia van der Merwe
Brooch: Blue folds, 2021
Leather, sterling silver, thread, steel pin.
10 x 4 x 1 cm
Cornelia van der Merwe. Necklace: Held, 2021. Glazed ceramic, cord, sterling silver, magnets. . 15 x 50 x 3 cm. Photo by: Shan Grobler. Cornelia van der Merwe
Necklace: Held, 2021
Glazed ceramic, cord, sterling silver, magnets. 
15 x 50 x 3 cm
Cornelia van der Merwe. Neckpiece: Self-control, 2021. 3D printer filament, magnets, spray paint.. 40 x 40 x 40 cm. Photo by: Clara Babette. From series: Skandaal. Collar neckpiece on model: Anika Lotter. Cornelia van der Merwe
Neckpiece: Self-control, 2021
3D printer filament, magnets, spray paint.
40 x 40 x 40 cm
Photo by: Clara Babette
From series: Skandaal
Collar neckpiece on model: Anika Lotter
Appreciate APPRECIATE