Elisa Zorraquin Elisa Zorraquin
Author:
RMIT University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Over a two-year period Elisa Zorraquin looked for ways to engage the viewer and slow them down. The masters project Elisa pursued was one that drew attention to quiet moments and gestures of everyday experience. Each series of work considered how making could contribute and add meaning to daily experiences by looking and noticing repetitive daily rituals. The outcome of this project was completed in June 2020 during the middle of COVID 19 lockdowns in Melbourne. The aspects of wonderment and connection to the everyday Elisa had been exploring for two years were suddenly real to all of us as we walked only in our surrounding neighbourhoods and worked from home.
/ Kirsten Haydon, 2020

Beauty uncovered: exploring ways to experience wonderment in the everyday through jewellery, object and assemblage.

I translate everyday happenings into jewellery and objects. The concept of looking and noticing is a resource I use to encounter value everywhere. In an era where society is in a constant rush and craves novelty and innovation, I undertake daily walks in search of wondrous findings that inspire my work. Flowers blooming, intricate iron gates and spontaneous combinations between nature and architecture.

I transform metals through the intimate, time consuming and delicate qualities of the handmade. This technique serves not only as a production method but also, as a way of slowing down. The jewellery objects, mostly in brass, revisit natural forms and speak about the simpleness present in my surroundings. Organic patterns, folds and light combine to inspire ideas of growth, beauty and surprise in daily life.

My practice approaches jewellery as an expression of personal gratitude and an invitation to others to delight in the everyday wonders present, and often overlooked, in the world. I seek to permeate the boundaries between the self and the world through jewellery and object making, drawing on close observation of the domestic and street settings present in my daily routine.

/Elisa Zorraquin  2020

More work and contacts:
Email: elisazorraquin@gmail.com
Instagram: @elisa__zorraquin

Name of graduation student: Elisa Zorraquin
Name of the guiding teacher: Dr. Kirsten Haydon, Gold & Silversmithing, School of Art, RMIT University, Melbourne.

Find out more about the courses at https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/art

I Can Handle It
Elisa Zorraquin
Elisa Zorraquin. Installation: Domestic Scenography, 2019. Mixed media. Variable dimensions. Elisa Zorraquin
Installation: Domestic Scenography, 2019
Mixed media
Variable dimensions
Elisa Zorraquin. Object: I Can Handle It, 2020. Brass, copper, powder coat.. Variable dimensions. Photo by: Elisa Zorraquin. Elisa Zorraquin
Object: I Can Handle It, 2020
Brass, copper, powder coat.
Variable dimensions
Photo by: Elisa Zorraquin
Elisa Zorraquin. Object: Present Day, 2019. Brass. 10 x 4 x 4 cm. Photo by: Elisa Zorraquin. Elisa Zorraquin
Object: Present Day, 2019
Brass
10 x 4 x 4 cm
Photo by: Elisa Zorraquin
Elisa Zorraquin. Necklace: Reflect II, 2018. Brass, acrylic, tracing paper, beads, glue, cord.. 9 x 5 x 2 cm. Photo by: Fred Kroh. Elisa Zorraquin
Necklace: Reflect II, 2018
Brass, acrylic, tracing paper, beads, glue, cord.
9 x 5 x 2 cm
Photo by: Fred Kroh
Elisa Zorraquin. Necklace: Time Well Spent, 2019. Brass. 50 x 6 x 3 cm. Photo by: Fred Kroh. Elisa Zorraquin
Necklace: Time Well Spent, 2019
Brass
50 x 6 x 3 cm
Photo by: Fred Kroh
Appreciate APPRECIATE