Back
RISD.
Cranbrook.
Goldmuseum Taipei - Metal Crafts Competition 2018.

Emily Culver. Cranbrook Academy of Art. Selected Graduate 2017

Article  /  Artists   Selected Graduate 2017
Published: 06.09.2017
Emily Culver Emily Culver
Author:
Cranbrook Academy of Art
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Emily Culver's work addresses our subconscious knowledge and familiarity with archetypical and mundane objects of daily life. Her exquisite knowledge of techniques and materials gives her objects a suggestion of familiarity but rejects direct readings or use. One is not tempted to classify and categorize her work, it flows between boundaries of craft, design, and art but rests in none of them.
Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Cranbrook Academy of Art.

The Cranbrook Metalsmithing department is focused on questioning the meaning and value of objects, techniques, and materials through the process of making. We see studio practice as an exploration of the significance and possibilities within the familiar material world as the context of both current artistic trends and in relation to the wider context of contemporary society.

In exploring function as metaphor the objects I create reference the familiar, therefore informing their affect. I work to understand the influence that they possess through their communicative affordances; is it we who shape their existence or do they also dictate us? The body activates these “things” as much as they in turn reflect it - they lead and guide in more than just their discovery.  

I think of all materials,
surfaces and forms in relation to the body; whether it be by the way that they embody corporeal qualities or in the ways in which they speak to or call for physical engagement. I see skinness in color, texture and metaphorical function, but also in longing for and responsiveness to touch. I wonder if by representing humanness, embodied within inanimate things, can one more fully and aptly experience the humanity within oneself?

What is it that we search for within “things”? Why do we project aspects of ourselves onto and into them? I ask myself if it is like looking in the mirror or looking on the hook, shelf or table. In other words, what can a Still Life reveal; an invitation to engage, a staging for a specific event, an offering on a platter?

Or perhaps simply something about ourselves. / 
Emily Culver

More works and contact:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/emily.culver/
Email: emilyculverstudio@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Cranbrook Academy of Art

Emily Culver. Set: Still Life [The Luncheon], 2017. Plastic, silver, northern maple wood. Photo by: Emily Culver. Brooches and a Necklace. Emily Culver
Set: Still Life [The Luncheon], 2017
Plastic, silver, northern maple wood
Photo by: Emily Culver
Brooches and a Necklace
Emily Culver. Object: Implement, 2015. Maple wood, silicone, silver, leather. Photo by: Emily Culver. Emily Culver
Object: Implement, 2015
Maple wood, silicone, silver, leather
Emily Culver. Object: Trough (shrouded), 2017. Mdf, steel, paint, copper. Photo by: Emily Culver. Emily Culver
Object: Trough (shrouded), 2017
Mdf, steel, paint, copper
Emily Culver. Object: Trough (shrouded), 2017. Mdf, steel, paint, copper. Photo by: Emily Culver. Emily Culver
Object: Trough (shrouded), 2017
Mdf, steel, paint, copper
Emily Culver. Object: Untitled, 2017. Cherry wood, foam, silicone. Photo by: Emily Culver. Emily Culver
Object: Untitled, 2017
Cherry wood, foam, silicone
Emily Culver. Object: Plug, 2017. Copper. Photo by: Emily Culver. Emily Culver
Object: Plug, 2017
Copper
Emily Culver. Necklace: The Early Years III, 2017. Leather, maple wood, cherry wood, fabric, steel, silicone, rubber, silver. Photo by: Emily Culver. Emily Culver
Necklace: The Early Years III, 2017
Leather, maple wood, cherry wood, fabric, steel, silicone, rubber, silver
Emily Culver. Earrings: Clamp Set, 2017. Stainless steel, northern maple wood, nickel, 14k gold, silver, surgical steel. Photo by: Emily Culver. Emily Culver
Earrings: Clamp Set, 2017
Stainless steel, northern maple wood, nickel, 14k gold, silver, surgical steel
Appreciate APPRECIATE