Back

Eva Marie Sänger. Düsseldorf University of Applied Sciences. Peter Behrens School of Arts, New Craft Object Design. New Talents Award Nominee 2023

Article  /  Artists   NewTalentsByKlimt02
Published: 30.12.2023
Eva Marie Sänger Eva Marie Sänger
Author:
Peter Behrens School of Arts Düsseldorf University of Applied Sciences
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The 9th edition of the New Talents Award by Klimt02 aims to recognize the work of graduate students in our field by supporting their careers in the professional world. Nominated by our school members, one of the selected graduates will win the New Talents Award.

My master's thesis, 'Reconnect me - connections as a design principle’, therefore promotes quality products and focuses primarily on their connection. Instead of hiding the connection, it becomes a design-determinant and function.

Name of graduation student: Eva Marie Sänger
Name of guiding teachers/lecturers: Dipl. Des. Jochen Zäh (MA) / Prof. Uli Budde

Nominated by Düsseldorf University of Applied Sciences. Peter Behrens School of Arts, New Craft Object Design

Eva Sänger takes a closer look at our material cultures and its evolution. She analyses the status quo as a result of historical processes and develops a creative proposal using contemporary techniques such as 3D-printing - based on old, classic and analogue principles.
By concentrating on this one principle of folded connections and designing both a family of jewelry pieces and vessels, Eva Sänger shows her ability to translate complex questions into well-designed, refined and responsible objects. The perceived detail of a joint or connection is set to the foreground and becomes the design itself. This strong take shows an enormously fine sense for form, function and context.
Eva Sänger assumes a strong social attitude on the one hand, and positions herself as a responsible and critical designer as well as maker on the other hand. 

/ Prof. Uli Budde 

Statement of the artist: 
Material fatigue and wearout are part of our everyday life. Additionally, we have developed to a throwaway society by fast-moving trends, cheap industrial production and apparently seamless products over the last 100 years. Connections have become smaller, more hidden, and more intractable.
Reconnect Me counteracts this development, focusing on the connection and using its form and function as a design determinant. A rotatable, detachable folded connection finds application in jewelry and vessels. Circular design for individuality and repairability.

Summary of the thesis: 
Until 100 years ago, durable products and repairs were taken for granted. Elaborate manual processes and precious materials meant that a product had to be designed for utility and durability.
Due to the advantages of industrialization with its cost-efficient production methods, as well as the associated pursuit of ever-new trends and ever-new and even cheaper products, we have forgotten how to use our resources sustainably. Repairs are often only carried out on valuable or particularly cherished items.
This is also how the exhibition Repair Revolution, which was on show at the Museum for Design (Museum für Gestaltung) in Zurich in summer 2023, describes it. "Things break all the time in our everyday lives. Instead of repairing them, we often buy a replacement straight away. The consequences are growing mountains of waste and an increasing scarcity of resources with global consequences. [...]"
The thesis of my master's thesis, which has been confirmed, is that everything is transient and nothing will last forever. Defects, damage, wear out, and tear are unavoidable, but a well-thought-out design can ensure that repairs are not only possible but also easy to carry out, thanks to good connections.

In my opinion, all designers are therefore called upon to tackle this problem. After all, it has been proven that the design of a product determines how durable and repair-friendly it is. Instead of creating products with planned obsolescence and those that seem to be made from one piece, designers need to work towards making things comprehensible. The research for my thesis showed that people have forgotten how to disassemble and understand products over time; most of them no longer have the confidence to do so. A lack of confidence, less experience, fewer skilled craftsmen and products that are not designed for this purpose have led to a sharp decline in repairs, resulting in massive problems.

My master's thesis, 'Reconnect me - connections as a design principle’, therefore promotes quality products and focuses primarily on their connection. Instead of hiding the connection, it becomes a design-determinant and function.

A rotatable or pluggable, detachable, folded connection is used in jewelry and vessels. Circular design for individuality and reparability. The products are all made from high-quality, durable polyamide using 3D printing, which is the solid base material throughout the design. It is combined with high-quality metal elements made of stainless steel and silver, to ensure a high level of value and versatility.
Overall, each product in the collection consists of two to a maximum of three elements, which can be replaced individually in the event of wear out, making the products easy to trace. Accordingly, even in the event of wear out and tear and the resulting loss of function, a new function and therefore the product can be restored.

Mail: eva@saenger.de
Instagram: @eva_marie_saenger_design

Find out more about Düsseldorf University of Applied Sciences. Peter Behrens School of Arts, New Craft Object Design

Eva Marie Sänger: Reconnect semi-bold necklace and Reconnect bracelet bold, 2023
. Photo by Eva Marie Sänger.
Eva Marie Sänger: Reconnect semi-bold necklace and Reconnect bracelet bold, 2023
Photo by Eva Marie Sänger

Eva Marie Sänger: Reconnect me collection, 2023
. Photo by Raphael Maukner.
Eva Marie Sänger: Reconnect me collection, 2023
Photo by Raphael Maukner

Eva Marie Sänger. Bracelet: Reconnect bracelet bold, 2023. 3D printed polyamide. 7.5 Ø outside x 1.4 cm. Photo by: Eva Marie Sänger. From series: Reconnect me. Eva Marie Sänger
Bracelet: Reconnect bracelet bold, 2023
3D printed polyamide
7.5 Ø outside x 1.4 cm
Photo by: Eva Marie Sänger
From series: Reconnect me

Estimated price: 150 €

Eva Marie Sänger. Earrings: Reconnect Hoops, 2023. 3D printed polyamide, silver 925. 3.2 Ø outside x 0.8 cm. Photo by: Eva Marie Sänger. From series: Reconnect me:. Eva Marie Sänger
Earrings: Reconnect Hoops, 2023
3D printed polyamide, silver 925
3.2 Ø outside x 0.8 cm
Photo by: Eva Marie Sänger
From series: Reconnect me:

Estimated price: 150 €

Eva Marie Sänger. Bowl: Reconnect bowl, 2023. 3D printed polyamide, stainless steel. 19.5 x 28.5 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Christine Kristensen. From series: Reconnect me. Eva Marie Sänger
Bowl: Reconnect bowl, 2023
3D printed polyamide, stainless steel
19.5 x 28.5 x 3.5 cm
Photo by: Christine Kristensen

Estimated price: 550 €

Eva Marie Sänger. Bowl: Reconnect bowl, 2023. 3D printed polyamide, stainless steel. Ø 19.5 x 19.5 cm - 28.5 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Raphael Maukner. From series: Reconnect me. Eva Marie Sänger
Ø 19.5 x 19.5 cm - 28.5 x 3.5 cm
Photo by: Raphael Maukner

Estimated price: 650 €

Eva Marie Sänger. Bowl: Reconnect bowl, 2023. 3D printed polyamide, stainless steel. 19.5 x 19.5 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Christine Kristensen. From series: Reconnect me. Eva Marie Sänger
19.5 x 19.5 x 3.5 cm
Photo by: Christine Kristensen

Estimated price: 500 €