Back

Hanna Tervonen. LAB University of Applied Sciences. Selected Graduate 2020.

Published: 14.10.2020
Hanna Tervonen Hanna Tervonen
Author:
LAB University of Applied Sciences
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:
Hanna Tervonen. Object: Energy comes through a white colour, 2020. Juniper, agate.. 11 x 9 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Hanna Tervonen. From series: Conversation. Hanna Tervonen
Object: Energy comes through a white colour, 2020
Juniper, agate.
11 x 9 x 3.5 cm
Photo by: Hanna Tervonen
From series: Conversation
© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
In her series “Conversation” Hanna Tervonen went on exploring the outcome of a random conversation with a person she hardly knew. The situation was carefully documented with all the details memorized. It raised thoughts about listening, answering, being available, and present at that very moment. Hanna has dealt with the gathered information with a certain sensitivity that followed into the pieces of work as well. The randomness and the unplanned has been translated into wooden pieces that offer shapes and surfaces to wonder, question, and await.
/Jenni Sokura
We can stay in touch with each other all the time, but are we listening to each other? Are we reachable? My thesis addresses the importance of conversation and encounter. Encounter is an opportunity to change ideas, viewpoints, experiences, and create new ones. Good conversation increases understanding between individuals and creates a sense of belonging together.

Recently it has been noticed how technology can be vital for us to connect with other people. However, the rapid development of society has brought new challenges to our brain, mind, and relationships. I feel that today conversational situations often are defined by an accelerated rhythm of life. People talk a lot but being present and listening to each other is easily forgotten.

I wanted to have a conversation with another person and give time to be present in that moment. The series visualizes the topics covered during the conversation as well as the atmosphere and feelings that emerged. The titles of the works are quotations from the conversation. With the person I had a conversation with, we were fairly unknown to each other, just had exchanged hellos and good mornings. During this encounter, we became familiar with each other. The conversation was intentionally free-form and by no means an interview. The aim was to keep the conversation open to opportunities. It could shift under its weight from one subject to another.

The series consists of two pieces of jewellery and three objects. The main materials in the series are wood, silver, and textiles. The works in the series are meant to be close to people, a velvety or rough surface of the wood cannot be felt unless the object is picked up. The works are delicate by nature, such as a thinly sanded surface or a crumbling bark of wood. The Conversation series encourages the viewer to peacefully observe what it has to say and remind them to take time to have a conversation with other people.

/Hanna Tervonen

More work and contacts:
Email: hanna.a.tervonen@gmail.com
Instagram: @rannatonvenhe

Name of graduation student: Hanna Tervonen.
Name of the guiding teacher: Jenni Sokura and Timo Tähkänen.

Find out more about the courses at LAB University of Applied Sciences.

Hanna Tervonen. Brooch: Will we see anymore?, 2020. Birch, silver, steel wire, glue.. 3.8 x 7 cm diameter. Photo by: Hanna Tervonen. Hanna Tervonen
Brooch: Will we see anymore?, 2020
Birch, silver, steel wire, glue.
3.8 x 7 cm diameter
Hanna Tervonen. Necklace: Such a strong energy started to spread, as if I had been full of electricity, 2020. Birch, textile, glue.. 3.3 x 2.5 cm, 113 cm length. Photo by: Hanna Tervonen. From series: Conversation. Hanna Tervonen
Necklace: Such a strong energy started to spread, as if I had been full of electricity, 2020
Birch, textile, glue.
3.3 x 2.5 cm, 113 cm length
Hanna Tervonen. Object: Why I was so worried, it went as it should, 2020. Birch, textile.. 4.5 x 10 cm diameter. Photo by: Hanna Tervonen. From series: Conversation. Hanna Tervonen
Object: Why I was so worried, it went as it should, 2020
Birch, textile.
4.5 x 10 cm diameter
Hanna Tervonen. Object: Until I understood that I have to think on contrariwise, 2020. Juniper, silverdust, textile lint, glue.. 11 x 9.8 x 4.4 cm. Photo by: Hanna Tervonen. From series: Conversation. Hanna Tervonen
Object: Until I understood that I have to think on contrariwise, 2020
Juniper, silverdust, textile lint, glue.
11 x 9.8 x 4.4 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE