Back

Hao Lin Cheng. Alchimia Contemporary Jewellery School. New Talent Award Nominee 2021

Article  /  NewTalentsByKlimt02   Artists
Published: 30.11.2021
Hao Lin Cheng Hao Lin Cheng
Author:
Alchimia Contemporary Jewellery School
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
She has developed a strong sense of detail, guided by the search for the most consequent and honest solution. In her various projects she connects elements from the world of jewelry in a natural way with urgent political and social themes.
/ Evert Nijland 
Name of graduation student: Hao Lin Cheng
Name of guiding teachers: Evert Nijland 

Nominated by Alchimia Contemporary Jewellery School, Florence, Italy

The work of Hao -Lin reflects an original way of thinking. 
Starting from a conceptual approach she has developed a poetic and intimate body of work, which is on the cutting edge between jewelry and installation.
She has developed a strong sense of detail, guided by the search for the most consequent and honest solution. In her various projects she connects elements from the world of jewelry in a natural way with urgent political and social themes.
With her interdisciplinary approach, Hao Lin connects questions of identity with portability, action, text, craft, space and even sound.

/Evert Nijland 

Summary of the Master Thesis:
There is a kind of manipulation that is subtly affecting people's cognition. It permeates our surroundings and has its hold on us. When we are identifying things or people, we use the definition that is given to us, by mass media, by propaganda, and by education. People build up this comprehension, and how we adapt to this system so naturally. That once we look at an image, we assume what is the meaning that it suggests, and agree with what it stands for. The comprehension has been depicted again and again, which is like drawing a line to define and divide, from me to them, from this to that. In this way, when one individual puts on, or be given a symbol, anyone can be easily marked as someone. Individual thinks of themself different from others.
However, we have all fallen under the same effect. We are just in this same group of crowds.
The project has a strong relationship with my identity as a Taiwanese. Understanding and contemplating my cultural identity has me develop my work and be able to express my thought on the basis of my root and experience. The project has taken form in three groups, I took those images which we looked upon as symbols, which we thought we know the meaning of. I use the characters of these symbols and modify them to build a crowd, and each set of the crowd has one principle to follow.
The first set, a thong of doves which are paper folded with decolourized newspapers. The ink on the newspaper is washed out and all collected on one white paper. The used-to-be white paper grew darker through the process, then it is folded into a crow.
The second set, a bunch of armbands, from each has been taken three threads to make a gap. And the threads are used to make an embroidery definition of propaganda, cited from Encyclopaedia Britannica.
The third set, a group of voiceprint badges. The people who participated have been asked to read the article of propaganda cited from Encyclopaedia Britannica. Then they have to say “This is manipulation” for recording. Their voice turned into voiceprint and hollowed out on a brass plate.
The three sets of work, through different approaches and materials, from object installation to wearable pieces, have been guiding the reflection to this issue closer and closer to the body.
A corresponds to the normality of our environment and divergence that brings consciousness to this phenomenon, which has built the society.

/Hao Lin Cheng

More work and contacts:
E-mail: winddawn61@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses at Alchimia Contemporary Jewellery School.
Hao Lin Cheng. Installation: One Is One Hundred - A Bird Has Its Say, 2021. White package paper, ink from the newspaper. 25 x 13.5 x 9 cm. Hao Lin Cheng
Installation: One Is One Hundred - A Bird Has Its Say, 2021
White package paper, ink from the newspaper
25 x 13.5 x 9 cm
Hao Lin Cheng. Installation: One Is One Hundred - A Bird Has Its Say, 2021. Newspaper. 20 x 12 x 9 cm. Hao Lin Cheng
Installation: One Is One Hundred - A Bird Has Its Say, 2021
Newspaper
20 x 12 x 9 cm
Hao-Lin Cheng. Sculpture: One Is One Hundred - You may as well have a sign, 2021. Armbands : greige fabric 
. Embroidery: greige fabric, threads from the armbands. armbands : 36 cm(circumference), 11 cm(width)  embroidery : 30 x 40 cm. Hao-Lin Cheng
Sculpture: One Is One Hundred - You may as well have a sign, 2021
Armbands : greige fabric 
Embroidery: greige fabric, threads from the armbands
armbands : 36 cm(circumference), 11 cm(width) embroidery : 30 x 40 cm
Hao-Lin Cheng. Brooch: One Is One Hundred, 2021. Brass, stainless steel. 7.9 x 5.75 x 3.87 cm. From series: One Is One Hundred. Hao-Lin Cheng
Brooch: One Is One Hundred, 2021
Brass, stainless steel
7.9 x 5.75 x 3.87 cm
From series: One Is One Hundred
Hao Lin Cheng. Brooch: One Is One Hundred, 2021. Brass, stainless steel. brass plate : 7.5 x 0.8 x 3.5 cm  steel frame : 7.9 x 5.75 x 3.87 cm. Hao Lin Cheng
Brass, stainless steel
brass plate : 7.5 x 0.8 x 3.5 cm steel frame : 7.9 x 5.75 x 3.87 cm
Hao Lin Cheng. Object: Beyond words can tell : I am Taiwanese, 2019. Brass. 17.9 x 1 x 10.8 cm. Hao Lin Cheng
Object: Beyond words can tell : I am Taiwanese, 2019
Brass
17.9 x 1 x 10.8 cm
Hao Lin Cheng. Brooch: One Is One Hundred, 2021. Brass, stainless steel. brass plate : 7.5 x 0.8 x 3.5 cm  steel frame : 7.9 x 5.75 x 3.87 cm. On display. Hao Lin Cheng
Brass, stainless steel
brass plate : 7.5 x 0.8 x 3.5 cm steel frame : 7.9 x 5.75 x 3.87 cm

On display

Appreciate APPRECIATE