Back
Joya Barcelona Fair 2018 skyscraper.
Goldschmitte 2018 skyscraper.

Kalle Heikkilä: Saimaa University of Applied Sciences, BA Jewellery Art. Selected Graduate 2018

Published: 10.09.2018
Kalle Heikkilä Kalle Heikkilä
Author:
Saimaa University of Applied Sciences
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Following students progress through semesters and watching them grow during the years is privileged position for a teacher. When the idea of a jewelry piece grows from the size of your fist to a figure over two meters, one is really able to feel the change, both mentally and physically. The concept of a wearable portrait binds together decades of traditions and questions of ourselves that aren’t alien to any of us. The self is presented as a horn of plenty, as a character you simply cannot avoid seeing – but the carrier itself is hiding, the core is not revealed in its entirety.
/ Jenni Sokura, lecturer

Saimaa University of Applied Sciences, B.A.(Hons) Fine Arts - Jewellery Art, Imatra, Finland.

Who am I? Our identities are constantly changing, adapting to different situations in life. We take different roles when dealing with different groups of people. Our experiences and environment shapes who we are and how do we see ourselves. How do the others see me? Identity has often been the theme I’ve explored with my art and so it is with my thesis. Unself-portrait is about a very uncertain identity.

My work is a wearable portrait of the abstract things of self-perceptions, thoughts, roles, and barriers. It is a visualization of the chaotic moment of being lost with yourself, a moment in the middle of
transformation in identity with all the possible directions. An uncomfortably wearable chaos which hides the wearer’s features, expressions and movements completely, transforming them into unshaped unknown. 

Visually my work is an experimentation of what can be considered as a contemporary jewelry art piece. Is there a limit how big can a wearable piece get and still be considered as
jewelry? Can I even call this a jewelry piece? How much stuff is too much stuff? Can too much stuff be beautiful? I think there is beauty in chaos and imperfection, something very real and honest. This is what we are. This is what everything is.

Nothing is perfect. Change is eternal. Possibilities are endless.

/ Kalle Heikkilä

More work and contacts:
Instagram: lellehoo
Email: lellehoo@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Saimaa University of Applied Sciences.

Kalle Heikkilä. Body piece: Unself-portrait, 2018. Textile, wood, aluminium, copper, plastic, bone, leather, paint, thread, wire, etc.. 80 x 80 x 120 cm. In my thesis, I address the theme of personal identity, its fragility and transformations, the theme of being lost and endless journey of self-discovery. Unself-portrait formed into a wearable chaos and a huge piece of jewelry that covers the whole human body. It is an intuitively constructed experimental collage of little bit of everything.. Kalle Heikkilä
Body piece: Unself-portrait, 2018
Textile, wood, aluminium, copper, plastic, bone, leather, paint, thread, wire, etc.
80 x 80 x 120 cm
In my thesis, I address the theme of personal identity, its fragility and transformations, the theme of being lost and endless journey of self-discovery. Unself-portrait formed into a wearable chaos and a huge piece of jewelry that covers the whole human body. It is an intuitively constructed experimental collage of little bit of everything.

Kalle Heikkilä. Body piece: Unself-portrait, 2018. Textile, wood, aluminium, copper, plastic, bone, leather, paint, thread, wire, etc.. 80 x 80 x 120 cm. Kalle Heikkilä
Textile, wood, aluminium, copper, plastic, bone, leather, paint, thread, wire, etc.
80 x 80 x 120 cm
Kalle Heikkilä. Body piece: Unself-portrait, 2018. Textile, wood, aluminium, copper, plastic, bone, leather, paint, thread, wire, etc.. 80 x 80 x 120 cm. Alternative view.. Kalle Heikkilä
80 x 80 x 120 cm

Alternative view.

Appreciate APPRECIATE