Back
Ambertrip.
Koonstfack School - Master Programme Crafts.
HDK_OpenCall_PositionforProfessor.

Li-Yun (Rita) Hsing. Academy of Art University, MFA Jewelry & Metal Arts. Selected Graduate 2018

Published: 17.07.2018
Liyun (Rita) Hsing Liyun (Rita) Hsing
Author:
Academy of Art University
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
With provocative depth and questioning, Li-Yun (Rita) Hsing has chosen to examine what seems to be women’s eternal pursuit of beauty. Underpinning Rita’s thesis is the suffering women choose to inflict upon themselves to fit into standards, trends, and societal rules.

School of Jewelry & Metal Arts, Academy of Art University, MFA Jewelry & Metal Arts, USA.

Li-Yun (Rita) Hsing sees the poignant choices that modern women make as they travel the path to the mercurial destination of perceived beauty. As slaves to trends and expectations, women have fallen prey to gender stereotyping for centuries.
Revealing superb design, her iconic and allegorical works explore body hair and skin issues, plastic surgery, garments that maim, and body shaming. Skillfully combining mixed media, 3D printing, casting, fabrication, and the mechanics produced by jeweler’s lathe and mill, Rita shows us the compelling primacy of object and will in self-inflicted torture.

There is a depth of intention as Rita poses revelatory questions:
Why do we women obey rules?
Why are women marginalized when we don’t follow trends and obey rules?
Who is responsible for defining beauty?
Questions, not answers, are presented. Questions which in themselves highlight the unrealistic norms forced upon women. Rita’s works leave a lasting impression, as we realize how, over centuries, although the forms have changed the motivating issues remain the same.

/ Charlene Modena, Director, School of Jewelry & Metal Arts, Academy of Art University.

----------

My work focuses on the feelings of women when they attempt to pursue beauty in order to satisfy the norms of society. I discuss the social phenomenon of modern feminism, such as body hair issues, cosmetic surgery, and body shaming. It is my goal to have some influence on the way our culture views these societal “rules." I hope to help change these views for the benefit of all women and increase awareness of this phenomenon which has been going on for centuries. In my work, I try to celebrate being a female and the many different aspects of femininity. My thesis, As a Female, reveals some of the unreasonable sacrifices of women and serves as a reminder that these unrealistic norms still exist in society today.
/ Li-Yun (Rita) Hsing

More works and contacts:
Instagram: liyunhsing_metalart

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to School of Jewelry & Metal Arts, Academy of Art University.

Liyun Hsing. Object: Chin Device, 2018. Brass, ABS plastic.. 12.7 x 11.4 x 14 cm. Photo by: Rainy Wong. Liyun Hsing
Object: Chin Device, 2018
Brass, ABS plastic.
12.7 x 11.4 x 14 cm
Photo by: Rainy Wong
Liyun Hsing. Object: Exfoliating Device, 2017. Brass, acrylic, stainless steel, sandpaper.. 10.2 x 11.4 x 24.1 cm. Photo by: Carla Macar. Liyun Hsing
Object: Exfoliating Device, 2017
Brass, acrylic, stainless steel, sandpaper.
10.2 x 11.4 x 24.1 cm
Photo by: Carla Macar
Liyun Hsing. Object: Eye Contact Device, 2017. Brass, silver, resin.. 5 x 6.4 x 3.8 cm. Photo by: Rainy Wong. Liyun Hsing
Object: Eye Contact Device, 2017
Brass, silver, resin.
5 x 6.4 x 3.8 cm
Liyun Hsing. Object: Fantastic Nails, 2018. Brass, sterling silver, acrylic.. 10.2 x 10.2 x 14 cm. Photo by: Carla Macar. Liyun Hsing
Object: Fantastic Nails, 2018
Brass, sterling silver, acrylic.
10.2 x 10.2 x 14 cm
Liyun Hsing. Object: Like My Hair II, 2018. Brass, gel, fabric.. 12.7 x 11.4 x 20.3 cm. Photo by: Carla Macar. Liyun Hsing
Object: Like My Hair II, 2018
Brass, gel, fabric.
12.7 x 11.4 x 20.3 cm
Liyun Hsing. Object: Ouch! My Nose, 2017. Brass, stone, gel.. 17.8 x 20.3 x 15.2 cm. Photo by: Rainy Wong. My work focuses on the feelings of women when they attempt to pursue beauty in order to satisfy the norms of society. I discuss the social phenomenon of modern feminism, such as body hair issues, cosmetic surgery, and body shaming. It is my goal to have some influence on the way our culture views these societal “rules." I hope to help change these views for the benefit of all women and increase awareness of this phenomenon which has been going on for centuries. In my work, I try to celebrate being a female and the many different aspects of femininity. My thesis, “As a Female,” reveals some of the unreasonable sacrifices of women and serves as a reminder that these unrealistic norms still exist in society today.. Liyun Hsing
Object: Ouch! My Nose, 2017
Brass, stone, gel.
17.8 x 20.3 x 15.2 cm
My work focuses on the feelings of women when they attempt to pursue beauty in order to satisfy the norms of society. I discuss the social phenomenon of modern feminism, such as body hair issues, cosmetic surgery, and body shaming. It is my goal to have some influence on the way our culture views these societal “rules." I hope to help change these views for the benefit of all women and increase awareness of this phenomenon which has been going on for centuries. In my work, I try to celebrate being a female and the many different aspects of femininity. My thesis, “As a Female,” reveals some of the unreasonable sacrifices of women and serves as a reminder that these unrealistic norms still exist in society today.

Liyun Hsing. Object: Slimming Device, 2017. Brass, ABS plastic.. Leg: 26.7 x 11.4 x 14 cm; Arm: 10.2 x 10.2 x 7.6 cm. Photo by: Rainy Wong. Liyun Hsing
Object: Slimming Device, 2017
Brass, ABS plastic.
Leg: 26.7 x 11.4 x 14 cm; Arm: 10.2 x 10.2 x 7.6 cm
Liyun Hsing. Object: Wearing the Pain, 2018. Brass, ABS plastic.. 20.3 x 20.3 x 7.6 cm. Photo by: Bob Toy. Liyun Hsing
Object: Wearing the Pain, 2018
Brass, ABS plastic.
20.3 x 20.3 x 7.6 cm
Photo by: Bob Toy
Appreciate APPRECIATE