Back
Hochschule Idar Oberstein.
Goldschmitte.
Goldmuseum Taipei - Metal Crafts Competition 2018.
Joya 2017 skyscraper.

Mia Copíková. Hochschule Trier. Selected Graduate 2017

Article  /  Selected Graduate 2017   Artists
Published: 14.08.2017
Mia Čopíková Mia Čopíková
Author:
Hochschule Trier
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
The works of Mia Copikova have an astonishing formal clarity and have been made with great precision. By clear cuts and lines in the material she at first convey safeness, which is than being questioned by reflexions and blurs. Only few things are the way they seem to be in our surrounding world. Mia Copikova has the courage to create new spaces through her work and thus question our boundaries. / Prof. Ute Eitzenhöfer
Hochschule Trier, Idar-Oberstein, Germany.

Mia Copikova - Mirrors in History
The topic of my thesis – MIRRORS IN HISTORY is fully reflected in my practical part of the thesis in my final collection. All of the pieces are literally made out of the mirrors commonly used for interior spaces. Mirrors commonly used in interiors, bought as a building material and on the other hand also precious mirrors handmade out of high quality rock crystal coated by fine gold. Paradoxically in non of them you can admire image of your reflection. Constructed mirrored layers of mirrors created narrow space of parallel eternity. Just a glimpse of light can be captured in and in another angle re-reflected out.

Layers, layers, layers .... are analogous to the layers of sediment that society layers on top of us. My intention was to look at the layers from different perspective, search possibilities, bring light into a pieces and on the end evoke the curiosity. The layers that society has are made out of written and unwritten rules and expectations that keep us in monotonous routine circle. In order to evolve we need to wonder and step out of the circle everyday one step further. New looking angles, curiosity, experiencing novelty, change are the ways to break the comfortable bubble we are living in.

The research of materials has led me to use mirrors as soul and identity reflectors. Over the time I created my own way of using mirrors. The material compound of mirror layering works with the light as a major ingredient. Light flows inward and after multiple refractions and reflections is going out as shiny sparkle. The mirror is not recognizable to the viewer but is fully operative. My work makes the viewer question where the glowing is coming from, instilling wonder for the viewer and wearer.

More works and contact:
Email: mia.copikova@gmail.com

Find out more about the courses and deadlines for applications to Hochschule Trier.

Mia Čopíková. Ring: Bottle Opening, 2017. Mirrors, glue, oxidised silver. 14 x 6.3 x 2.5 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashafiri. Mia Čopíková
Ring: Bottle Opening, 2017
Mirrors, glue, oxidised silver
14 x 6.3 x 2.5 cm
Photo by: Nima Ashafiri
Mia Čopíková. Object: Fifth Element, 2017. Rock crystal, gold, wood. 8.5 x 7.5 x 4.5 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashafiri. Mia Čopíková
Object: Fifth Element, 2017
Rock crystal, gold, wood
8.5 x 7.5 x 4.5 cm
Mia Čopíková. Pendant: Fifth Element, 2017. Rock crystal, gold, silver, textile. 50 x 5 x 4.5 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashafiri. Mia Čopíková
Pendant: Fifth Element, 2017
Rock crystal, gold, silver, textile
50 x 5 x 4.5 cm
Mia Čopíková. Brooch: Afrodita, 2017. Mirrors, glue, steel. 7.8 x 5.7 x 1.2 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashafiri. Mia Čopíková
Brooch: Afrodita, 2017
Mirrors, glue, steel
7.8 x 5.7 x 1.2 cm
Mia Čopíková. Necklace: Lilu, 2017. Mirrors, glue, silver, textile. 27 x 15 x 1.5 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashafiri. Mia Čopíková
Necklace: Lilu, 2017
Mirrors, glue, silver, textile
27 x 15 x 1.5 cm
Mia Čopíková. Brooch: Fight the Fear, 2017. Mirrors, glue steel. 9 x 8 x 0.8 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashafiri. Mia Čopíková
Brooch: Fight the Fear, 2017
Mirrors, glue steel
9 x 8 x 0.8 cm
Mia Čopíková. Brooch: Daily Portion of Zen, 2017. Mirrors, glue steel, ebony, textile. 15.5 x 3 x 3.5 cm. Photo by: Nima Ashafiri. Mia Čopíková
Brooch: Daily Portion of Zen, 2017
Mirrors, glue steel, ebony, textile
15.5 x 3 x 3.5 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE