Back

Nadiye Koçak. LAB University of Applied Sciences, Design and Fine Arts. New Talent Award Nominee 2021

Article  /  Artists   NewTalentsByKlimt02
Published: 21.10.2021
Nadiye Koçak Nadiye Koçak
Author:
LAB University of Applied Sciences
Edited by:
Klimt02
Edited at:
Barcelona
Edited on:

© By the author. Read Klimt02.net Copyright.

Intro
Through this project, Nadiye forces us to focus on gender and think again – a good way to stretch our boundaries and bend our minds.
/Jenni Sokura, lecturer
Name of graduation student: Nadiye Koçak
Name of guiding teachers: Tero Puha, Jenni Sokura

Nominated by LAB University of Applied Sciences - Institute of Design and Fine Arts, Lappeenranta, Finland

A profound project by Nadiye Koçak brings the shed skin in front of us. What happened, whose is it? Shedding is at the same time about getting rid of and about creating something new. Through this project, Nadiye forces us to focus on gender and think again – a good way to stretch our boundaries and bend our minds.
/Jenni Sokura, lecturer

Summary of the Bachelor Thesis:
There is a pervasive and persistent conceptualisation of gender as innate, immutable and essential - biological even - in contemporary culture. The same can be said of so-called biological sex, which, although sometimes conceptualised as separate from gender in discourses, is in practical everyday use inseparable from it. This ideology of gendered and sexual difference is the result of a process called reification.

Reification is the mechanism of imbuing immaterial and abstract phenomena with material form; through reification, gender/sex as an expression of social difference is turned into gender/sex as an actually existing, concrete thing.

The category of sex is the product of a heterosexual society that turns half of the population into sexual beings, for sex is a category which women cannot be outside of- For the category of sex is a totalitarian one, – – It grips our minds in such a way that we cannot think outside of it. This is why we must destroy it and start thinking beyond it if we want to start thinking at all, as we must destroy the sexes as a sociological reality if we want to start to exist. (Wittig M., The Category of Sex, 1976/1982)

I did not reference Monique Wittig's essay in my thesis, but her writings have been essential to my thinking of sex, gender and feminism, and a critical influence in the theory of the deconstruction of the ideology gendered/sexual difference.

In my thesis work, Through Shed Skin, I asked the following questions: if we think of gender as not only an actually existing thing, but as something essential or innate to the body, can it then also be removed, and what would the result of this process look like?

To attempt to answer these questions, I experimented with a process of dipping my hand in pre-vulcanised liquid latex and allowing it to form around my hand and fingers and removing it after it had cured. I wanted to turn this artificial skin into gender and abject it, to destroy it.

The result is a series of multifunctional jewellery objects. They can be worn as gloves, finger cots, bracelets, necklaces - or not at all.

/Nadiye Koçak

More work and contacts:
Tel.: +358 401957529
E-mail: jenni.sokura@lab.fi or eija.mustonen@lab.fi

Find out more about the courses at LAB University of Applied Sciences - Institute of Design and Fine Arts.

Nadiye Koçak. Piece: Untitled, 2021. Latex, hair, silver, silver chain. 16 x 3 x 6 cm + 15 cm silver chain. Photo by: Nadiye Koçak. From series: hyperbody: hands. A single glove and a bracelet.. Nadiye Koçak
Piece: Untitled, 2021
Latex, hair, silver, silver chain
16 x 3 x 6 cm + 15 cm silver chain
Photo by: Nadiye Koçak
From series: hyperbody: hands
A single glove and a bracelet.
Nadiye Koçak. Piece: Untitled, 2021. Latex, hair, copper. 16 x 3 x 6 cm. Photo by: Nadiye Koçak. From series: hyperbody: hands. A single glove and a necklace.. Nadiye Koçak
Latex, hair, copper
16 x 3 x 6 cm
A single glove and a necklace.
Nadiye Koçak. Piece: Untitled, 2021. Latex, hair, silver. 30 x 6 cm. Photo by: Nadiye Koçak. From series: hyperbody: hands. A single glove, necklace, and a single earring.. Nadiye Koçak
Latex, hair, silver
30 x 6 cm
A single glove, necklace, and a single earring.
Nadiye Koçak. Hand Piece: Untitled, 2021. Latex, hair. 16 x 3 x 6 cm. Photo by: Nadiye Koçak. From series: hyperbody: hands. Nadiye Koçak
Hand Piece: Untitled, 2021
Latex, hair
16 x 3 x 6 cm
Nadiye Koçak. Piece: Untitled, 2021. Latex. 40 x 20 cm. Photo by: Nadiye Koçak. From series: hyperbody: hands. Nadiye Koçak
Latex
40 x 20 cm
Appreciate APPRECIATE